What should be done with ILT survivors?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Nanuqsaurus
Newly Hatched Chick

What should be done with ILT survivors?

Post by Nanuqsaurus » Thu May 07, 2020 1:04 am

I brought home my first 3 chickens last month, and unfortunately as of today they've tested positive for ILT. At this point, it seems like all 3 will make a full recovery.

One of my vets said that I should euthanize them all regardless, as they'll be lifelong carriers, but my other vet said that I didn't have to so long as they are kept away from non-vaccinated birds.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what to do. These birds were intended as pets, and I've gotten very fond of them over the last month, but I'm worried about feathers being blown away and infecting other flocks in my area, and that sort of thing. Definitely don't want to be the reason someone else's flock has to be culled!

I'm also concerned about the ILT virus reactivating in times of stress. Are flare ups as extreme as the initial infection? My black pullet was struggling to breathe and hacking up blood, and I would hate for her to ever experience that again.

In summation: does anyone else have experience with this situation? Can an ILT survivor be kept safely? Are flare-ups in survivors mild, or can they kill?

Thank you to anyone who's able to provide guidance, I feel quite sick over this situation.
Attachments
tumblr_8e4fc7550d61e949f0292156999d4f9e_db0df294_1280.jpg
Last edited by Nanuqsaurus on Thu May 07, 2020 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nanuqsaurus
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: What should be done with ILT survivors?

Post by Nanuqsaurus » Thu May 07, 2020 1:09 am

Some more photos, because they're good little birds.
Attachments
hh.jpg
tumblr_bb86752ac894298b21e70d253f5c7ae3_557753c1_1280.jpg
tumblr_a6c67166668805f32b0c2c346a18e0ec_4c64f398_1280.jpg
tumblr_0e96af641a8200416d99b5b47f51b26c_42256bb9_1280.jpg

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu May 07, 2020 6:39 am

This is not just a question of euthanising (or not) your survivors but disinfecting everything they have been in touch with including any free range areas and then likely not having anything for a while. I'm hoping someone else will step in here. This is not an easy decision especially where pet chickens are concerned.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:58 am

From what I understand it will live in your farm for 2w years, regardless of cleaning. It's in the soil. The hens look healthy, why not enjoy them! It will certianly cut down on your chicken math.

Not sure if you vaccinate hens, if you could add them. Sadly, you won't be able to sell anything from your farm. As far as flare ups, stress brings that on. We should all live stress free😊

Good luck, very difficult situation for you.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:02 am

I wasnt familiar with ILT, so I searched it and found this. Fairly informative. Its a herpes simplex infection like our cold sores.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/19526dc ... oultry.pdf

I am guessing I might or might not have it in my flock. Ten generations or so hatched here never vaccinated, sparrows all the time in the coop. Seems like they get sort of a "herd resistance" that lowers its impact on the group but individual birds can be very sick or die.

Seems that if I was sure I had it, I would just continue doing what I do, I pretty much never bring in new birds, just get outside eggs to hatch here.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu May 07, 2020 8:17 am

@Farrier1987 I think you would know if your flock had it, it's really nasty. I know at least one person here who got it in their flock and through a regimen of isolation and vaccination for some years got it under control. @Nanuqsaurus you could never sell or allow birds to leave and any incomers need to be vaccinated regularly. 6 weeks old, 10 weeks old and yearly thereafter. I get the feeling this might work for you. Even adults coming in could be vaccinated with an initial and a booster then on the regular schedule. It sounded like you were disturbed in case they became ill again. That might be a case of see if/when it happens and decide then. The vaccine is really easy to give so you don't need a vet to do it, this is the one vaccine I do regularly.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu May 07, 2020 10:40 am

Ok I'm going to chime in strictly as a mush hearted chicken owner. I probably do not make all of the right decisions for my pets (and yes my chickens are pets for me) and I have had more than one person shake their head at the length I will go to try to help an individual bird -as I'm sure many on here have experienced.
The fact that you had such concern and care for these newly acquired birds tells me that you are a very compassionate person that has the patience, diligence and ability to give these girls the best life they can have given their circumstances. You have already done more than many would have. For a lot of people they see a sick bird as very disposable because they can get a new one for $25 or so. Everything you've done so far indicates that you are not that person.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu May 07, 2020 11:02 am

# 1 concern about any decease is it does not transmit to others including other chicken owners birds & large flock operators . First off you find out what legal CFIA rules appy & if ok to keep you don’t spread . I know nothing about this Particular decease but I see Troy posted already about a case in a backyard flock .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

modern17
Starting to Crow

Post by modern17 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:28 am

My 2 cents from 40 plus years of experience for what it is worth
The short and simple answer is to get onto a vaccinating program and stick with it. There is lots of false info out there on this virus. ILT has several strains and some live in wild (unaffected) populations of birds ( carriers) that spread it. This is how most flocks get it that are not in contact with other birds ( shows , sales (private or public) . That you can not control if you let your birds free range unless you vaccinate in short think of sparrows or other birds that come in contact with your chickens. Their is lots of misconceptions on the shedd factor of the virus with vaccines . Vaccines are made one of two ways ... either by utilizing modified virus using eggs ( ovum derived ) or modified virus using tissue (trechea) from infected birds. 90% of the vaccine that is available to us is the ovum version( to my knowledge you would have to ask for the tissue version and I do not recommend this ). This means , the versions of the vaccine we are using are not a strong or aka hot " version of the modified virus. The general census is that there is shedding and non shedding versions of the vaccine but the truth of the matter is how it is made not that it is shedding or non. One practice that I follow is I do not do any birds under 2 weeks of age. I have been told by several poultry vets and a poultry pathologist in the USA that chicks under two weeks of age have not fully developed an immune system to fully create antibodies for this particular virus . In other words better coverage is obtained by vaccinating after 2 weeks of age. Due to the vaccine that is available being mild.. a few practices have been changed in my management of the virus. It used to be I only vaccinated new or young birds from the season . Adults were believed to have the antibodies for ILT still in their system from year to year if they were vaccinated as chicks . With the mild version of the vaccine it is suggested by most of the poultry health consultants that I have asked to do all birds on the premise for a more thorough coverage year to year regardless of age. For the little time it takes.. it is easy peace of mine.If you acquire new birds ... even if the seller tells you that new bird is vaccinated .. if I did not put/see the drop of vaccine go in the eye it has not been done in my mind. If the coverage is there , it will not affect it as it will have the antibodies present.In a healthy flock once vaccinated for ILT you should see a mild reaction ( puckered or gummy eyes ) in 5 % of your flock with in 4-5 days of the vaccination . This ensures you got a good take of the vaccine. If you get a larger reaction you may have other health issues in your flock or they may be under stress from something else. I highly suggest vaccinating a second time during the year ( say 2-3 months after the initial vaccination, this ensures coverage for the year and catches the young if they did not get full coverage from the initial vaccination and covers any newly obtained birds. This must be timed as you do not want to be planning on attending shows , swaps or other poultry gatherings or have visitors for a minimum of 2 weeks(as suggested by vaccine producers) my suggestion is wait 3 weeks from the date of vaccination as I would rather be safe ,rather than infect some one elses birds . Curb all unnecessary traffic and or stress on the birds during this wait time. I have lived through outbreaks , they are not fun with losses of up to 2/3 rds of your flock or more. If you happen to have an outbreak go through your flock you can handle it a couple of different ways. It is suggested by OMAFRA to vaccinate all birds during a outbreak with vaccine. I understand the premise here as it will give immunity to those not yet affected by the rogue virus affecting your birds , but it will also put stress on them. My suggestions is to wait for the virus to pass , you will loose birds if it is a hot strain of the virus. Any birds that survive the outbreak will have antibodies in them. I suggest 2 months out to vaccinate them with vaccine . Especially if there are new birds brought in. This will give added coverage and not stress birds out as they will be in a better state of health.Vacinating is just a way of life with our birds.in short part of managing them . I am not an expert but do my research not by googleing a topic but consulting my contacts in the Veterinarian , commercial , and other professional poultry resources as well as my experience over the last 4 decades. . Hope this has helped.
TL
Last edited by modern17 on Thu May 07, 2020 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu May 07, 2020 11:30 am

I will chime in with @Happy although here the chickens are livestock, but by no means easily disposable.
Taken all the precautions I think you can enjoy your birds, they look lovely.
It's a bit like the "virus that shall remain nameless" we aren't about to de-populate just because some have it, if we have the means to protect the rest. :2cents:

Return to “Health”