Deworming

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Deworming

Post by KimChick » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:53 pm

A few months ago, I bought some deworming meds for my small flock. I got Piperazdine 52 powder.
Nowhere on the package or online: https://www.drugs.com/vet/piperazine-52-can.html does it say anything about "not for laying hens" or "do not eat the eggs".
Does someone have any knowledge of this medication?

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Re: Deworming

Post by Shnookie » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:06 pm

Piperazine 52 Indications.docx
(15.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I have some notes:
- don't deworm when it's hot, they could drink too much medicated water and overdose.
- I've seen repeat in 30 days and I've seen repeat in 21 days.
- no withhold time - safe for human consumption and out of the chicken's body in 24 hours
- take away their water away the night before, then give them only treated water for most of the next day (8-12 hours), then go back to your usual water

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:10 pm

Thanks Shnookie. Since I also found an email address on the company's site, I emailed them. The document is exactly what is on the company's site and on the package.
You would give it to them in their water? I was thinking more of dissolving it in the water that I mix into the laying mash.
For the past few weeks, I have been wetting the laying mash because there is much less waste, and less is used.

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:26 pm

I have used Piperazine 52 a few times. I mix it into the birds' water. Never tried mixing into their feed.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:20 pm

I just phoned the company regarding egg consumption after treatment, since the email I sent bounced back. They will get back to me; the person with whom I spoke was working from home.
Stay tuned.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun May 03, 2020 10:10 am

Never heard back from the company but did hear back from the feed mill.
If there is nothing on the package that says "Do not consume eggs" for a period of time, then it is safe. Because if it wasn't safe, the company would be in deep trouble if it wasn't on the package. Plus, it is only ingested for a day.
So, because I have been wetting the laying mash, and I know that they eat all of their food, I dissolved the powder in the water that I used to wet the mash. It worked really well.

Return to “Health”