Help! Feather lice!

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Help! Feather lice!

Post by ross » Sun May 31, 2020 9:06 am

No withdrawal . Being water base no penitration into skin / body .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Post by Blizblaz » Sun May 31, 2020 10:17 am

Thanks! Do you have to spray the whole chicken, or just spot spray certain areas? I’ve only seen a couple of bugs, and when I look through feathers I don’t see any on the birds I’ve checked.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun May 31, 2020 10:47 am

I just spot spray Bronco under each wing, in the vent area, and at the base of the neck under the feathers.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Penny
On the Roost

Post by Penny » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:30 am

There is no recommended withdrawal for permethin or pyrethrins (the active ingredients in Bronco). Everything Ive read does say the concentration in eggs will peak at 7 days. The amount that goes through to an egg would be so miniscule, and you need to consume a surprisingly large amount for it to be toxic. You can use it as a premise spray as well for the coop.

Justme_jamie
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Justme_jamie » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:25 am

Hello. Can someone advise how often I can use bronco spray on my hens?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:44 pm

None in my experience with it on all birds even pigeons
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:14 pm

To treat for lice and mites you will need to spray (day 1)that willtake care of the adults running around. I would treat again at day 5 and again day 10 and again day 15 to catch all the hatching eggs and nymphs becoming adults. Dont forget to clean the coop too at leadt once during this time and then after the ladt treatment. Good luck.... From the look of the birds its just lice not feather lice... otherwise theyd be much more naked....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Health”