Testing of flock

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
clawton
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Testing of flock

Post by clawton » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:20 pm

Does anybody know who or where to contact about getting my flock tested fo MG ?
I'm fairly certain it's not that but I just want to double check for peace of mind
During that last warm rainy spell a couple weeks ago some of my birds fell ill and I lost a couple I believe because I hesitated on the antibiotics but just want to make sure it's not something else
Everybody has came back around now just one with a rattle left in his breathing( very minor and diminishing )

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Testing of flock

Post by WLLady » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:47 pm

Harwich vet clinic has been very open to me for questions about my birds-and are at Blenheim which isn't too far from you...I don't know if they can do the testing, but they may be able to figure out who can. Otherwise the University of Guelph veterinary center has an avian specialty there, and they can probably do it. Sorry i don't have contact numbers for Guelph, you can probably find it on the internet....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Testing of flock

Post by thegawd » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:56 pm

what about Dr. Foot in Glencoe? hes an avian/exotic vet...
Al

Home Grown Poultry

clawton
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Testing of flock

Post by clawton » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:58 am

Thanks guys il look into both
I don't think I have anything in my flock but just want peace of mind
Although from some stuff I read 60-80% of flocks are carriers of MG so how do you prevent this in a free range flock ?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Testing of flock

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:44 am

Before you have them tested you have to have a plan of action for if they are positive. Some folk on another site (ACE) ended up doing a full cull of their flocks with continued testing. The are now closed flocks and must be kept undercover. You can treat all birds with lincospectin at 3?days old and this is supposed to prevent myco. Realistically you can't prevent it in a free range flock especially with the wild life rescues treating house finches (not native to Ontario) and releasing them when "cured" as carriers.
If it were me (JMO) I would have a bird that doesn't recover PM'd at Guelph if you can to find out what you're really dealing with, may be just a sniffle. Hubby is always saying to me "no I'm fine, I just have allergies"!
Another idea what is your food like? I had some bags which were very dusty and I found mould in the centre. It could "just" be dust or mould spores combined with winter confinement (also not good).
Good luck with whatever decision you make.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

clawton
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Testing of flock

Post by clawton » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:23 pm

Had a nice chat with Dr.Foot today
I'm not nearly as concerned now
I had the same thing happen 4 years ago but havn't had any problems since
That is until that rainy warm spell a couple weeks ago so I'm fairly certain it's just this on and off winter and everyone has bounced back now just one left with a slight rattle in his breath but it even seems gone now as well

On a side note now that this is dealt with just my luck was 3 days in on collecting hatching eggs from my marans pen and I go out 3 mornings ago and the rooster couldn't stand! And I thought are you kidding me now what!!!!!
But just a minor injury today is day 3 and he's back running again with just a slight hobble and looks alright

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Testing of flock

Post by ross » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:29 pm

Good stuff Clawton . Would you share what Jim had to say or did you just say it ? Luck
Last edited by ross on Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

JimW
Head Chicken

Testing of flock

Post by JimW » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:06 pm

Glad to hear hopefully nothing serious. Some good suggestions here.

Just for reference for everyone out there the University of Guelph Animal Health Laboratory currently has a Small Poultry Flock Disease Surveillance Project currently going on where you can submit ill or dead poultry to the U of G Animal Health Labs (in Guelph or Kemptville) and they will do a post-mordem and a variety of different tests on your bird for only $25, which is crazy cheap. This is a research project so you have to fill out a questionaire and sign some paperwork but really cheap testing.

Your bird has to be referred through a vet though so a vet may charge you some additional fees, the test results are sent to your vet, and are confidential, unless your bird tests positive for a reportable disease.

Any a good way to get your birds tested if you think you have a serious illness, but as KB said, and it is a BIG but, be prepared for a plan of action (including a full flock cull), if your bird tests positive for something, especially if it is a reportable disease, which by law has to be reported to various government agencies. My wife works for the CFIA (testing cattle, deer, elk and buffalo mainly) and they do not mess around.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

clawton
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Testing of flock

Post by clawton » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Ya no problem Ross
We just chated about it for a while but just that it could be many things but I would need a to refrigerate a freshly deceased bird in a clean sterile bag to get any valuable test results, but it was just more reassuring to me that he took the time to explain many different scenarios that it could be and the losses iv had 4 out of about 60 did not seem to be that alarming to him but did say if the loses continue to bring in a bird but you could tell he didn't want to say one way or another without doing a post mortem , which I completely understand him in that aspect

But he did say if he sends in a specialty breed for testing the costs would be 3 fold compared to if I had a broiler or hybrid layer to send in cause then it's considered a pet chicken and the university is funded in part by one of the agricultural groups can't remember which one
Makes sense but sucks too

JimW
Head Chicken

Testing of flock

Post by JimW » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:15 pm

If you sent in a bird for testing for the project I mentioned, I don't think a specialty breed would cost more from the U of G lab research project. From what I read it is for backyard flocks no mention of breeds. They want to see what diseases backyard flocks are carrying.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Health”