Vaccinations

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
AniPearn
Newly Hatched Chick

Vaccinations

Post by AniPearn » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:11 pm

Hey, I've kept a flock of silkie chickens for nearly a year now, and as expected, my two hens have gone broody with the first thaw. Last year I had a huge issue with marek's disease, and I lost about half my flock to it. This year I'm going to vaccinate my chicks, but I'm not sure where to get the vaccine. I live in London Ontario, if anyone knows where to get some vaccine in the area, the info would be greatly appreciated.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Vaccinations

Post by WLLady » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:59 am

The only place i've been able to source any vaccines is directly from Guelph University.

oh and :welcome: glad you are here!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Vaccinations

Post by modern17 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:31 am

Dr Lloyd Weber Vet Supply ... in Guelph ( listed in the phone book and on line) has sold it in the past and as far as I know is where most get Vaccine from..Fancier Specialty in Baden Ont also carriers it.. I have vaccinated for it for many years now.. I do not suggest you vaccinate for it if you have less than 10 % losses from it. If more than 10 % , thats when you need to access if there is a real problem with it. The vaccine is a two part injectable ( a sterile dillulent and the powdered processed vaccine) .it is to be injected under the skin at the back of the neck of chicks..The virus It lives in the dander and is in most all chickens to some degree.( some breeds and strains are more susceptible to the virus than others ) Vaccinating adults is basically ( from a scientific point of view) a waste of time as if they are alive not showing signs after 12 months of age they are probably not going to show signs of it although can shead it and these adults can be carriers. You can not bring a bird back from mereks ... once it atttacks the central nervous system.. it is not something that can be cured...It is crucial that chicks be vaccinated prior to becoming exposed to the adults or the pen environment ( where the dander is present) .. contrary to popular belief they do not have to be done at day 1 .. but the sooner the better ...but must be done prior to being exposed to the adults & the adult environment . I must stress that point......
If you are hatching under hens.....this is next to impossible to do as the chicks are exposed from the minute the egg is pipped .. and I have little in the way of a solution for that issue. Personally I hold groups of chicks until I have approx 40-50 to do ... or the smell in my basement brooder gets too much and I am reminded to get those chicks out of the basement..... The vile has 1000 doses in it. So there is waste but for the cost $20-30 per vile .. if you save that one bird ... it is well worth it. It is just part of my hatching process anymore . Hope this has helped ..
TL

Return to “Health”