Frostbite?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Frostbite?

Post by TomK » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:53 am

Okay..another question..this one about, yeah, you guessed it, as the header alludes, frostbite..went out this morning to open things up for the day..all was normal yet Earl's wattles have taken on a distinctly yellowish tone...not at all red as before...I'm guessing frostbite, although my waterer is a hanging one that he would need to really work at getting his wattles into but i suppose its possible...I'm going to keep him under observation for a while but can anything be done if it is frost bitten?... Or is this the sign of something else?
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Frostbite?

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:22 am

If it is frost bitten it will turn black and then the black parts will fall off.
There is not much more you can do at this point unless we get anouther crazy cold snap.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Frostbite?

Post by WLLady » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:26 am

Sounds like it is. It starts by going yellow and then black....and usually delayed by a couple days after the worst cold.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Frostbite?

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:28 am

It's probably just a sign of light frostbite on surface only, and will slough of naturally if there is no further damage.
Just read Kathy's post, I guess I will take the optimistic slant on things. ;)

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Frostbite?

Post by TomK » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:57 am

I like optimism, OC, but i'm guessing WLL may be right...ugh...thanks also, Doug...is there a gangrene or infection issue possible like in humans?... I can deal with cosmetic issues but not a fan of health issues...no suffering tolerated here
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Frostbite?

Post by WLLady » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:16 pm

I never had anyone die from frostbitten combs and wattles....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Frostbite?

Post by thegawd » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:10 pm

Tom I had a few birds that wouldn't live in the coop no matter how hard I tried they prefered the pine tree out in the open. this was last year with the extended -30 -40ºC temps... the cockerals lost there combs entirely but the hens were fine. no one died and all lived very happily crazy chicken lives until the Ai thing broke out... I culled them then because they wouldnt live in a coop... Im sure your birds will be absolutely fine in the end.

:beer:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Frostbite?

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:14 pm

They will be fine it will not be infected unless there are other complications but in 10 years of poultry keeping i have not seen it happen.
I have had frostbite on a few and afterwards it is just natural dubbing. Minor loss of fertility to begin with in the spring then they get back in stride.
i have a roo who lives in a run with only a small plastic shelter that is open on the south side but he is the healthiest chicken i own as there are no moisture issues. No frost bite at all or signs of illness.

G Williams
On the Roost

Frostbite?

Post by G Williams » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:52 am

Some chickens seem more resistant than others.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Frostbite?

Post by Robbie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:33 pm

The hens with the thinnest combs seemed hardest hit the first time. During that cold spell a few days ago the barn went down to -12 oC inside, but the air was dryer than before and the combs were slathered in vaseline. No frostbite was seen on anyone.
I'm still undecided about dubbing Anconas. If my vet can do it with local anesthetic ( I think Lidocane is the safest? ) for sure. I think the one time dubbing would hurt less than a bad case of frostbite. And, the dubbing would be done when the birds aren't stressed by cold.
If I had a bird with a bad case of frostbite I think I'd dub comb and wattles right then and there, is that a bad idea?
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Return to “Health”