Very Pale Combs

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Very Pale Combs

Post by KimChick » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:27 am

Two of my RSL's have very pale combs. The first one I noticed had also gone through a tail feather molt, but now I noticed another hen, also with a very pale comb.
Could it be stress, since we put all the 22 chickens into the barn? (21 hens and a rooster)
Background:
As soon as we allowed the hens the option of going into the barn, the RSL's claimed the barn hen house. Today, I noticed one of them chasing out the younger hens.
It has only been about 5 days since I closed access to outside because of the outside temperature.
Today, however, DH opened their access to the outside pen to give them the option to venture outside.
So, I guess we'll see how they do?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Very Pale Combs

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:10 pm

I know I'm late to the game, but any updates?

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Very Pale Combs

Post by KimChick » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:30 pm

I forgot that I posted this!
All the hens are fine.
Today was such a nice day, I let them out to free range on the grass. It was a nice change from the barn and the snowy or muddy outside pen. They stayed close to home, like they do on their first outing.

Return to “Health”