Bad foot

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Shnookie
Free Ranging

Bad foot

Post by Shnookie » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:29 pm

About October 12th I noticed the inside toe on the left foot of my Serama pullet was sticking almost straight up. I assumed it was broken. She couldn't bend it down and it seemed a bit floppy. She was sore and held it up most of the time, walking with a limp. I put a sort of splint on the whole foot. It only stayed on for a couple of days. After that I noticed that the outside toe was not sitting straight either. When I pick her up, she can't hang onto my finger with that foot. When she tries, I can feel that she has made her toes stiffer, but none of them bend to grip. She is less sore now, but still limps. Her foot doesn't lay flat when she puts it down. I don't know if this is an injury or what, but she will likely end up as a house chicken. She will not be able to roost or get around in a large pen. The other chickens may start picking her.
IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1217.JPG

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Bad foot

Post by Jaye » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:12 pm

Is she still limping? I have two hens with less than perfect feet. One is 10+ years old and had one foot turned inward, and it's never been an issue for her. She does everything a chicken is supposed to do. The other is a younger hen with a deformed toe, but again, no issues with being a normal chicken. If she is not in pain and is able to scratch about and roost, I don't think it's anything to worry about. Neither of mine get picked on just because they have gimpy feet.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:17 am

I am wondering if this is an injury to a tendon further up the leg? CHeck out the next joint up for heat or signs of an injury.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:24 pm

Thanks Killerbunny. I checked her leg and the hock is hot and swollen. I didn't check further up before this because she was holding her foot up most of the time and the foot seemed to be the problem. I am putting a cold pack on it a few times a day to see if it helps.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:34 pm

Try WItch Hazel on the hock. Should be able to get it at the pharmacy.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Health”