Quail eye injury

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Quail eye injury

Post by Jaye » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:09 pm

So here is Lily's post-injury eye. Looking for insights - "insights" ... lol, just realized that was a pun. :-)
Bad eye:
IMG_20190304_184444~2.jpg
Good eye:
IMG_20190308_190305~2.jpg
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Quail eye injury

Post by kenya » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:48 am

My quail have frequently gotten after one another and do it to each other, stupid birds.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:19 am

LOL @kenya ... Yes, you're right - sometimes they can be rather mean. And daft. We have one bully that is about to have a couple of days of time-out, right after we get patient number two back with the flock and the infirmary crate is freed up again. That will happen after work today: we inspected patient number two this morning and she looks all healed up and ready to go back. We gave her one last dose of wound spray just for good measure, but I don't think it was really necessary.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:29 am

I had a covey of bob whites in my outside ring neck pheasant pen once with a few male pheasants. Had to pull them out & put in own pen cause the kept circling & harassing the pheasants to exhaustion then jumped on um . 8/30/6 pen lots a room & natural hiding places too . Cheeky little buggers . Luck PS on any eye issues I use luke warm tea bags held & soaked over eye .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:30 am

I had a covey of bob whites in my outside ring neck pheasant pen once with a few male pheasants. Had to pull them out & put in own pen cause they kept circling & harassing the pheasants to exhaustion then jumped on um . 8/30/6 pen lots a room & natural hiding places too . Cheeky little buggers . Luck PS on any eye issues I use luke warm tea bags held & soaked over eye .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:33 am

Looks like you did a nice clean job Jaye, like I said before I think you should market yourself as "St Jaye Ambulance" services ;)

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:26 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:33 am
Looks like you did a nice clean job Jaye, like I said before I think you should market yourself as "St Jaye Ambulance" services ;)
Thanks for the compliment, OC. :-)
There's still that big lump on the bottom lid, but from I think (and I'm hoping I'm right) it's just scar tissue that's grown over the original injury site, not any kind of infection any more.
ross wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:30 am
I had a covey of bob whites in my outside ring neck pheasant pen once with a few male pheasants. Had to pull them out & put in own pen cause they kept circling & harassing the pheasants to exhaustion then jumped on um . 8/30/6 pen lots a room & natural hiding places too . Cheeky little buggers . Luck PS on any eye issues I use luke warm tea bags held & soaked over eye .
Yes, I've heard that bobwhites can be quite aggressive. Coturnix quail tend to be a bit less so. Most of mine "play well with others", but I do have one Golden Italian girl who is just really cranky all the time. I'm pretty sure she's the root cause of most of the quail injuries I'v had to deal with.

Thanks to the tip/reminder about warm tea bags, Ross. I have used chamomile tea bags in the past, but this time I just soaked a cotton ball with warm saline water and applied that to her eye, followed by antibiotic eye drops.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Jaye her eye looks exactly like my old girl Miss Kitty. She's had her eyes picked at from an early age and she's having vision issues now. I will post a pic when I have time but my guess would be scar tissue as well.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:56 pm

I agree, it just looks like scar tissue. It looks to me like the injury or the infection destroyed part of her lower outer eyelid, and the "lump" is the healing edge. As long as her inner eyelid isn't damaged, she'll be fine, and with time, you should barely notice it!

Return to “Health”