Dead sparrows in coop

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Dead sparrows in coop

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:43 am

I fight with sparrows all the time. I have a badminton racket in the coop and dispatch some at times.(Watch the birdie! Whack!) Tear down their nests, other stuff. They are scared of me, but the number seem fairly constant.

But lately, there have been dead ones here and there in the coop. Or a not too well one on the floor that I will then finish. Chickens don't seem to be ailing in any way. Found a dead one in a nest box this morning.

Wondering if the chickens are pecking them? That would be great if they would maybe defend their territory a little. But I hope its not some disease. This has been going on for a month or more, and no sick chickens. Anyone else had this kind of thing? Guesses as to what's going on?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Dead sparrows in coop

Post by WLLady » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:37 pm

i've found a couple of dead ones in the barn that actually were killed by each other-the males territorial over the few females and the males beat the crapola out of the other male and killed it. my chickens are useless defending themselves against sparrows LOL. i would check and see if there's anything broken or blood anywhere on the dead ones. if not then check if they have mites on them or if there's mucus in the eyes or nostrils. if there is i would freak out and clean EVERYTHING. if there isn't, then maybe a cat injured and left them and they couldn't make it, or they flew into a window or something. The not looking good one i would be worried about. the weather has been bad enough that a weak bird or a carrier may succumb to illness...and they're looking for a warmer place to try and save some energy. you can always send to guelph for testing and i thimk the mnrf is testing dead birds for west nile and stuff like that if you are worried.....otherwise i'd just get rid of the carcass in a fire or something way far away from the coop and watch the birds like crazy for any illness....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Yes as @WLLady said it's also the time when the weaklings go. We too have had birds crashing into solid objects when they are fighting and not taking notice.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:51 pm

Yep to above but also watch for salmonella from mouldy feed around feeders outside & in . Sparrows are like the canaries of coal mines but not gas in this instance . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Health”