No crowing

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: No crowing

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:04 pm

Give him a hug from me! He's lovely.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:19 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:45 pm
I agree with the above, Gomer has lost status. The other rooster will keep him from breeding, crowing, or even eating and drinking. It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing, where there's no way to know if he got sick and lost status, or if he lost status and is now getting sick. It doesn't take them long to go "off" if they're not getting enough to eat/drink, or have no interest. I personally always assume the former and remove the bully if I can. If you take Gomer out, even if he recovers, he will likely never be top rooster again as long as the other rooster is in there. My advice would be to separate both roosters out for a few days and see if Gomer regains interest in chickenly things. If he doesn't, he's likely on a downward spiral that won't end well, but if he does, you can at least put him back in and get a few chicks out of him before Frizzle goes back in. If you just separate out Gomer, it will be very hard to ever introduce him to the flock again without Frizzle killing him...frizzle guy needs time out too so he's not quite so cocky when he goes back. Or, you need another coop for bachelors, but then again, we ALWAYS need another coop lol
So, it's been a week now that I have be shuffling Roosters and I'm sad to say there has been no change in Gomer. When I put him out alone with the girls he just stands and is big and puffy. I've been hand feeding him so at least he'll eat something. He hasn't crowed in a week and shows absolutely no interest in being a Rooster any longer. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've tried putting him in with the little chicks and he just stands there. Out with he's hens and pullets, he just stands there. Of course, the Frizzle Rooster isn't too happy about the new arrangements nor, am I...he crows at 2:30am!
Any additional thoughts? Or is he on the downward spiral that's isn't going to end well :dunno:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 am

Is he standing like a penguin?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:28 am

Jaye wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 am
Is he standing like a penguin?
Not that I've noticed so far. If you mean is he sitting back on his butt...nope he stands and does walk around. Mostly, he stands in a corner. :hug:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:01 pm

Okay, I just thought I'd ask. By "standing like a penguin", I mean that his stance is upright and his tail is sort of tucked under. That's sometimes an indication of internal problems; possibly organs failing or intestinal obstructions.
You could try bringing him indoors and giving him "the spa treatment" - an Epsom salts bath soak. You'll need to make sure he's completely dry before putting him outside again, though.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:22 pm

Hate to say it buts hes sick, probably won't recover. By the time we see that they are sick its pretty far along as they hide it. Your other rooster probably has nothing to do with his change in status, he just took advantage of the gap that he left. I would remove him from the rest of your chickens and give him his own pen away, in case he has anything contagous . let your frizzle back with the girls. Thankfully you have some babies from him.
Hopefully someone else will chip in to give you an idea what could be wrong. Hugs to you I know you love him.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:56 am

kenya wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:22 pm
Hate to say it buts hes sick, probably won't recover. By the time we see that they are sick its pretty far along as they hide it. Your other rooster probably has nothing to do with his change in status, he just took advantage of the gap that he left. I would remove him from the rest of your chickens and give him his own pen away, in case he has anything contagous . let your frizzle back with the girls. Thankfully you have some babies from him.
Hopefully someone else will chip in to give you an idea what could be wrong. Hugs to you I know you love him.
You may be right and I'm in denial. But I hedged my bets...he has also been on antibiotics. Right now he is outside walking around doing more with the girls than he has for the last 10 days.i wouldn't say he is back to normal but there is a slight change in his behavior.

I do love this little guy......
20180520_101057.jpg
This was Gomer at 4 weeks! I knew he was going to be a rooster then!

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Well if hes improving hopefully the antibiotics are doing the trick. Fingers crossed for you.
You were smart to put him on antibiotics, lucky you still had some.
Yes he was cute and already looked like a little rooster, not like my showgirl who had me fooled.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:22 pm

kenya wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:53 pm
Well if hes improving hopefully the antibiotics are doing the trick. Fingers crossed for you.
You were smart to put him on antibiotics, lucky you still had some.
Yes he was cute and already looked like a little rooster, not like my showgirl who had me fooled.
I have a few in my freezer it will keep longer. But I was using IM with him. I'm pretty sure this showgirl is going to be a roo.......
20190216_155844.jpg
Someone told me, that if you feel at the top of a silkies head and there are 2 bumps it's a roo, one bump and an indentation, pullet. Not sure if it works or not ....I didn't have any bands this hatch. So I'm trying it now, I'll keep you posted.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:34 pm

Yes looks like a boy. I usually figure a longer area showing means a boy. Will have to try bumps next time, but I think my showgirl didn't have any bumps can't be certain now though.
Yes IM antibiotics so much better.
Looks like he may look just like his father.

Return to “Health”