No crowing

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: No crowing

Post by Jaye » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:46 pm

:iagree: ... sounds like he's still got a bit of good life left to live if he's still eating and drinking and generally going about the business of being a chicken.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:31 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:27 pm
Not at all, you'll know when it's time or not.
Thanks KB....he is moving around ..eating, drinking, just not as healthy as he could be.......I had him out with his girls today.. He is pretty happy with them. But he wants me to bring him in the house to sleep. It's too much for him to hop up on a perch. Maybe the spring and summer will be a wonder drug for him. Who knows!

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:14 pm

The warmer weather he will probably do a little better but I don't think he'll ever get better. I've seen this before they eat and drink but never put any weight on. Maybe someone on here can give us a better understanding of what is going on, to me it seems as if one of their organs is no longer working. The food goes in but they can't process it.
I don't blame you for not culling/killing him, hes still up and about enjoying some life. I too would not do it but Unfortunately you might want to keep him separate from the rest in case hes a carrier.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:47 am

kenya wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:14 pm
The warmer weather he will probably do a little better but I don't think he'll ever get better. I've seen this before they eat and drink but never put any weight on. Maybe someone on here can give us a better understanding of what is going on, to me it seems as if one of their organs is no longer working. The food goes in but they can't process it.
I don't blame you for not culling/killing him, hes still up and about enjoying some life. I too would not do it but Unfortunately you might want to keep him separate from the rest in case hes a carrier.
I know, he eats and never puts on weight. I wish I knew what it was. Maybe someone here will have the answer. I have lots of other chickens(that math thing) that are just fine. From the same hatch living in the same hen house. It's just so odd. You are right he is happy about the nicer weather. He wants to running about. I have to be careful, my standard Rooster Oliver, likes to try and get at him. Oliver would kill him. He sadly has attacked one of my other roosters so I know he will. It's a bit of extra work...but what the heck! I already spend way too much time on my hobby (which I'm reminded of constantly) what's another 1/2 hour or so : :wave:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:13 pm

Have you wormed him? I once convinced a local vet (before I found my awesome chicken vet) to send out a fecal sample for me. It came back showing round worms despite being wormed not long before. I think the fecal cost me 20 or 25 dollars. It will also show coccidiosis. Just a thought.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:36 pm

Might be worth it to get the vet to check it out.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:04 am

I can try...I check his poop every day....what can I say. I don't see anything extra in there. I can see if I convince my vet to send out the sample. What do you folks use for deworming?

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:23 am

Kbr42 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:04 am
I can try...I check his poop every day....what can I say. I don't see anything extra in there. I can see if I convince my vet to send out the sample. What do you folks use for deworming?
You’ll only see worms in poop if they have a very heavy infestation. I’ve never seen any until after giving them meds and then you sometimes see the dead ones. I’m not positive that you can buy wormer over the counter still. I use horse paste wormer and piperazine powder alternated. A pea size amount of the paste on bread for standard size-less for Bantams-3 days in a row. The piperazine is added to their water for a full day.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:44 am

I do treat my flock 2x a year with ivermec. I treated him this morning and will treat the flock this weekend. I'll take a look out for your suggestions when I go to the feed store. Thanks.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:33 pm

Im very sorry to pen this post, I'm heartbroken, I came home to find Gomer had died this morning. I had only been at work for a few hours. He seemed fine today, in fact he was taking on some of the younger roos yesterday and holding his own. Anyway, it was not to be. I did try my best. Thanks for all your support!

RIP:Gomer.

Return to “Health”