Stumped again!

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Stumped again!

Post by Kbr42 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:00 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:44 pm
I wonder if she has a touch of arthritis or some type of joint pain. One of my girls about the same age acted like that for a while (again the roosters favourite). I treated her with a baby aspirin crushed in some food every other day for 2 weeks. She seems OK now but has slowed up. I only give the aspirin for a limited time if a bird is laying in case she has any tiny bleeds. Pity they can't tell us what's wrong, best of luck!
I'll try the baby aspirin, so hard to tell what's wrong. She's not broody.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:32 am

I re-read your post, it seems like it has been going on for about a month, pretty unusual.
I would think if it was a "disease" it would have finished her much faster then this.
I looked in the Chicken Health Book, nothing that looks even remotely like the symptoms you describe.
I would pick her up and do a thorough body examination.
Comb, eyes, really probe the crop, see if its empty or full, bones, extend the wings, sometime collar bone is damaged by the rooster which creates a problem, and pay special attention to legs, extend and feel the joints and of course feet and bottoms of feet.
Perhaps a Super Booster in her water might perk her up a bit.
I think @kenya might be right, eye sigh might be a problem, she may be following sound when you come rather then actually seeing you.
In the end you are doing all the right things, and you may just have to let nature take it's course.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:45 pm

She's definitely in pain somewhere if she's not broody. If she sits down readily it's not likely to be abdomen or keel...but if she's lost weight, she's at risk of getting a bumble on her keel if she spends a lot of time on it, and that may be enough to do her in. Since she doesn't want to bend or lean to eat, I'd suspect neck, shoulders or spine. Drinking would hurt even more if this is the case, and it would make sense for her to want to eat only moisture-rich food.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:13 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:45 pm
She's definitely in pain somewhere if she's not broody. If she sits down readily it's not likely to be abdomen or keel...but if she's lost weight, she's at risk of getting a bumble on her keel if she spends a lot of time on it, and that may be enough to do her in. Since she doesn't want to bend or lean to eat, I'd suspect neck, shoulders or spine. Drinking would hurt even more if this is the case, and it would make sense for her to want to eat only moisture-rich food.
I checked her when I got home today, she's growning new feathers. I didn't find anything else on her back, neck, or wings. Her crop had seeds in it and that's it. It wasn't muchy nor did it have an off smell. In the end she could just be having a butt awful moult. And clearly knows I'm a soft touch.

@Ontario Chick Thanks for looking it up for me. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best!
Thanks for all your feedback and ideas.
Cheers

Return to “Health”