Can rooster eat layer crumbles?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Penny
On the Roost

Can rooster eat layer crumbles?

Post by Penny » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:01 pm

I've lost my old boy (1 year old) and just purchased a purebred replacement rooster. Part of me thinks that the higher calcium in the layer crumbles may have attributed to his demise (along with my inexperience with ventilation last winter). Can a rooster safely eat layer crumble, or do you have an "all flock" type fee available? My feed store does not have an "all flock" option, just grower, layer, or chick feed. What are your thoughts?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Can rooster eat layer crumbles?

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:26 pm

My boy eats layer quite happily, the only time you don't want to give too much calcium is when you are rearing chicks yourself because it can cause skeletal problems while growing. My roosters have always had layer. I also have free choice oyster shell out with no problems.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:47 pm

I feed 15% broiler breeder ration that I get from Floradale feeds. Most of the larger mills carry some version of that.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:57 pm

We have fed layer pellets for years and have never fed different feed to a rooster, can't imagine how that would be achieved.
As a rule, the rooster has much lover intake of feed then hens, since he doesn't have to produce eggs.
Our birds go on 18% Layer pellets at around 5 month and the same goes for any cockerels that might be living with them.
Have one with the hens now 3,5 years old, still pretty spry :)

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:00 pm

We also give all of the hens and rooster laying mash. Extra calcium in the form of oyster shells is free choice hanging on the fence in a rabbit feeder. In that, occasionally I add egg shells (baked & crumbled) and maybe some sesame seeds. I only do this because most of the hens didn't like the oyster shells.

Return to “Health”