Pls, help identify what's wrong with this roo's legs.

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:08 am

Scaly mites is my guess. Just treated my roo with coppertox last night.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:32 am

I've read on here recommendations for the roost too. Forget what is done? Paint it? Oil it?
Is scaley leg mites easily spread to others? Quarantine necessary?

Ever since Jaye? OC? Can't remember who was dealing with leg mites I've been rubbing my roosts down with DE. Pointless?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:04 am

scaly mites live their whole life cycle on the birds, but they can crawl across to other birds.....DE certainly can't hurt....but they don't spread real fast, so treating the one bad infected bird and just watching the rest is probably sufficient...then if other birds start to show early signs (lifting scales) then treat....
they're not like fowl mite that spread like crazy.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:20 am

Are your roosts painted, Sandy? If not, you can rub vegetable oil on them. I had some Neem oil concentrate on hand, so I mixed it in a solution of warm water and dish soap and sprayed mine. I don't think using DE can hurt, but I don't know how effective it is against leg mites.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:23 am

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST still curious about the bottoms of his feet....but totally agree on the advanced scaly mites. i just think that there's also some underlying infection in there too making his feet swollen....
If it is an underlying infection, VetRX is great for that too. Polysporin would work too - the regular stuff, not polysporin D - that's toxic to chickens.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:40 am

Jaye wrote:QR_BBPOST Are your roosts painted, Sandy? If not, you can rub vegetable oil on them. I had some Neem oil concentrate on hand, so I mixed it in a solution of warm water and dish soap and sprayed mine. I don't think using DE can hurt, but I don't know how effective it is against leg mites.
Jaye, to be honest, after your leg mite issue I used carbaryl dust on the roosts ... I know I know. Crazy sometimes. Now I just do DE almost every day.

I have neem as well. Great idea!!! Next time the roosts get a scrub down (next weekend) I'll add neem to my cleaner and rub some oil in them. Canola work? I've been using peppermint and d-lemonine(spelling ?) added to my vinegar solution. I also do keep wormwood and other herbs in the coop and nesting boxes as extra preventative measures. I just keep hoping I don't see those lifted scales.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:26 pm

Any kind of oil will work, Sandy. The idea is to smother those kooties so that they suffocate and die.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:34 pm

Jaye wrote:QR_BBPOST Any kind of oil will work, Sandy. The idea is to smother those kooties so that they suffocate and die.
Consider it done! Thank you

AimeePearn
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by AimeePearn » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:15 pm

Thanks for all the info, folks!
No, there's no bumble foot under there...
I paint the roosts with lime in the spring...
They have a dust bath of sand, ash, and a little DE...
I'll start treating him with epsom salts and vaseline.

Cheers,

Aim

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:16 pm

Lime? Ummm...

Return to “Health”