Egg production, and lack there of

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Egg production, and lack there of

Post by Happy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:57 am

Hmmm so my detective work this morning has found that Gilly is still not laying. Her full sister 3 weeks younger than her Is the new layer that recently fired up.
Miss Gilly
ED272BF6-8566-4CD8-BA86-84D4FF95EE8F.jpeg

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Nobody firing up here, the 10 Jr Wyandottes 5 month and 4 days old, but who is counting? ;) didn't even look at the lovely laying boxes each equipped with a lovely Golf ball.
Even the Black Brave Cockerel, to be known from now on as BBC until he graduates to BBR or possibly just stays BBC coz I can remember that one, haven't even told them How and Where to lay an egg.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Poor Frank does try very hard to tell them but they are all in a bad mood ATM. They all just gave me stink eye this am!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:54 pm

One of my two Embden girls has decided to give me two eggs so far. This will be her third year to have a second laying cycle in the Fall. It's too cold to leave eggs out, so it's a no go for her, and now that I've mucked with her nest (she HATES that lol), I think she'll probably decide that two eggs were enough. They're unlikely to be fertile; the first couple when she "fires up" usually aren't...but I'm a huge sucker and turned on the incubator for them. You know, just in case :fingersx: These guys are unproductive enough that I need to hatch every egg I can roflmbo . Right?
I also got two chicken eggs yesterday, after a 5 day dry spell. Whoo hoo! Maybe I won't have to buy eggs this winter? :hands:
Looking at the girls though, the vast majority of them are in various stages of moult. Some just finishing, some in the middle, and some just still blowing feathers like dandelion fluff :sighke1:
The mama that was hiding a clutch in the loft, has just hatched 5 babies. Mama and babies are in my living room in a dog cage, because, again, I'm a sucker. The other mama is still sitting on two eggs (she started with 8, but on rocks, so they got broke one by one) and is now also in my house in a cat carrier. I'm clearly an idiot, as moving them back outside will be a royal pain in the behind--they'll have to go in the meatie shed where they can have a heat lamp, which will require that I modify the shed since there's still meaties in there :doh:

Penny
On the Roost

Post by Penny » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:05 am

I have 31 week old Ameraucanas that I think just may be freeloaders for the entire winter. Not a single blue egg. Though...I have seen my barnyard mixes, bothe Pokey and Fibi, 20 weeks old, checking out the nesting boxes for the last few mornings. Here's hoping to itty bitty brown eggs soon!

Gilly is very cute! You gotta cut her some slack! lol

Return to “Health”