Egg production, and lack there of

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Egg production, and lack there of

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:02 pm

I am getting zero eggs. Sometimes one. Spring pullets started up in September and October, which for a while helped make up for the slacker molters, broodies and mamas...but then SOME idiot had to decide to move everybody to a different coop, and now that idiot gets her reward of no eggs. Same idiot has two broodies still sitting on eggs, because November babies are a great idea :roll:

Happy

Post by Happy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:25 pm

KimChick wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:03 pm
Thanks everyone, for confirming that I wasn't just giving them excuses for not laying eggs.
I should have mentioned the number of "0" egg days from the BSL's lately; there have been a few. Also, there are about four that have not seemed to recover fully from last winter's molt. That is why I decided to invest in some dried mealworms and calci worms to try to help the feather growth. I thought their feathers would grow back sooner for all the time they got to free range around the property this Spring and Summer. I guess what works for some does not work for all.
Kimchick do they have rooster wear maybe?
I have a 1 1/2 year old that has had a bald back since the spring. The rooster that caused her bald back hasn't been here for months but she had to molt to finally get new feathers (which she's currently doing)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:33 am

I have one like that too Happy. One of the Wyandottes was a favourite of Chunky and it's taking her ages to get feathers back.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:17 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:02 pm
I am getting zero eggs. Sometimes one. Spring pullets started up in September and October, which for a while helped make up for the slacker molters, broodies and mamas...but then SOME idiot had to decide to move everybody to a different coop, and now that idiot gets her reward of no eggs. Same idiot has two broodies still sitting on eggs, because November babies are a great idea :roll:
Ok, very funny! Clearly, I was the same and I have 2 Seramas chicks (couldn't have picked a different breed) at 7 weeks now....I have 2 broody hens I have no idea why, but I can't get their butts out of the nesting boxes......we all have our rewards don't we......

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:55 am

"but Mum looooves babies doesn't she? Let's give her an Xmas present!" You see they are only thinking of you.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:30 pm

Whew!!!!...I am so glad this thread is here...for a while there i was thinking theres something terribly wrong with the flock here...it turns out i have a whole big bunch of free loaders...i have 10 rocks, 4 blk sex links, 7 Rhode Island Reds, 2 leghorn mutts, 5 Blk Copper Marans and 5 Welsummers...oh, and Olive the EE...and if i am lucky, the best i have gotten the last few weeks is 2-3 eggs a day..now, granted, the Marans are just coming into their season but they supply one of the eggs regularly so far...I'm not sure which of them is actually laying but when they kick in it will be sweet...in the meantime these other loafers better get the moult behind them and get on with the job...feed is costing me plenty..lol...good thing i love these birds... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:47 am

Happy wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:25 pm
KimChick wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:03 pm
Thanks everyone, for confirming that I wasn't just giving them excuses for not laying eggs.
I should have mentioned the number of "0" egg days from the BSL's lately; there have been a few. Also, there are about four that have not seemed to recover fully from last winter's molt. That is why I decided to invest in some dried mealworms and calci worms to try to help the feather growth. I thought their feathers would grow back sooner for all the time they got to free range around the property this Spring and Summer. I guess what works for some does not work for all.
Kimchick do they have rooster wear maybe?
I have a 1 1/2 year old that has had a bald back since the spring. The rooster that caused her bald back hasn't been here for months but she had to molt to finally get new feathers (which she's currently doing)
That is possible. Although, I did think that the rooster preferred the red hens. Then again, I can't be out there every minute to check on his activities!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:49 am

Happy wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:47 pm

I've noticed that although my oldest girls do still lay quite well through the spring/Sumer months they take a longer break each year they age. So they quit laying earlier and fire up again later. They deserve the break.

@Ontario Chick I hadn't really thought about the older girls seeming depressed until this year. A couple are having a long, drawn out molt and they sure don't seem themselves.
Well just think about it, you are getting older, the kids are grown, your prime has just passed last week, winter is coming and you are loosing your hair...err, I mean feathers.
Who wouldn't be depressed? :)

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:53 am

TomK wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:30 pm
Whew!!!!...I am so glad this thread is here...for a while there i was thinking theres something terribly wrong with the flock here...it turns out i have a whole big bunch of free loaders...i have 10 rocks, 4 blk sex links, 7 Rhode Island Reds, 2 leghorn mutts, 5 Blk Copper Marans and 5 Welsummers...oh, and Olive the EE...and if i am lucky, the best i have gotten the last few weeks is 2-3 eggs a day..now, granted, the Marans are just coming into their season but they supply one of the eggs regularly so far...I'm not sure which of them is actually laying but when they kick in it will be sweet...in the meantime these other loafers better get the moult behind them and get on with the job...feed is costing me plenty..lol...good thing i love these birds... :run:
Wow! You have more freeloaders than I do! The RSL's are coming out of their molt quite nicely. Our BSL's are at the stewing hen age, so their days are numbered. If I buy or hatch anymore chickens, I will need the space for some working girls, not freeloaders.

Happy

Post by Happy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:38 pm

I had one more young bantam start laying this week and I came home tonight to Gilly's first egg! I didn't think she was going to ever start! Gilly is 7 months old and 3/4 Cochin 1/4 Barred rock. So my average just gained some traction.

Return to “Health”