Question Flax Bedding

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Flax Bedding

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:00 am

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone here uses Flax bedding in their coops? Currently, I use construction sand, but I'm always on the look out for something better. From what I've read, it's dust free and totally bio-degradable. Anyone out there using it? If so, pls tell. I'm interested in how to clean it and where or not it's worth a try.

Thanks

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Flax Bedding

Post by Jaye » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:04 am

I've used flax bedding in the past, but have not been able to source it in my area in a few years. I really liked it when I could get it and would use it again if I could find it again.
I now use dust extracted straw, which has many of the same properties as flax bedding, plus it's readily available in my area now. I have found several companies that produce it, both of which I have used: the Straw Boss and Goldfields.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:57 am

How did you clean it? I clean my coop daily with a kitty litter scoop does it work the same way?

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:49 am

I have a poop board/tray where most of the night deposits land and it has a layer of Sweet PDZ (zeolite) on/in it to neutralize smell a bit and to dry out the manure; that gets cleaned daily (most of the time). For the coop bedding, I just scoop out the obvious manure with a bucket style barn fork whenever I see it, turn it every few days (although if I throw in some treats the girls do it for me), and add fresh. The individual bits of dust- extracted straw are only a bit larger than flax bedding bits, so a litter scoop should work fine too. It's a modified deep litter system: Big clean-out and bedding renew of the coop happens in the spring and fall. It hasn't happened this fall yet, but will hopefully get done this weekend. In the spring/summer/fall months the hens spend very little time in the coop anyway, so it really doesn't take a lot of regular maintenance.
I get my Sweet PDZ from Tractor Supply in Ogdensburg NY once or twice a year, because I can't find it anywhere here. I have used Stall Dry instead a few times, and it does an adequate job too, but IMO Sweet PDZ is better for odour control, so it's not my first choice. With the exchange rate being what it is ATM, I may have to resort to Stall Dry again though.
Last edited by Jaye on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:27 pm

Jaye wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:04 am
I've used flax bedding in the past, but have not been able to source it in my area in a few years. I really liked it when I could get it and would use it again if I could find it again.
I now use dust extracted straw, which has many of the same properties as flax bedding, plus it's readily available in my area now. I have found several companies that produce it, both of which I have used: the Straw Boss and Goldfields.
When @Jaye posted mention of the dust extracted (chopped) straw on sale at TSC I got several bags.
I find it behaves almost exactly the same as flax, very clean and sweet smelling, great for chicks and easy to "fluff up" and much better to use in the house, very little dust.
Downside, when freshly put on floor, is quite slippery and will form a top matted surface just like flax, when not turned regularly.
I used straw for winter "deep bedding" for years, but got tired of the annual Quest for straw.
This year I am going to see if a base of wood shavings topped with the chopped straw will do the job.
So far I am getting light melange of both, with the straw seemingly disappearing after few days,
I guess time will tell

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:45 pm

I don't know the cost of the types of bedding materials discussed above, but I go the cheap route and use deep course shavings in all of my coops. To scoop the poop , I use a hand rake and dust pan, similar to kitty litter tools. Similarly in the barn during winter, I use the course shavings on the barn floor. It is a lot easier to rake and/or shovel than straw.
In the nesting boxes, with red hens using them as sleeping quarters, I have stopped using straw and use only fine shavings (with herbs).
I clean the poop out of the nesting boxes everyday and spot clean the coops more than once a week, as needed, then mix up the deep shavings as I go.
All of this seems to be working for me so far!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:21 pm

I use shavings as a matter of convenience but I hate them. Dust, dust and more dust. It really can't be good for the birds. I know it's not good for me. @Jaye and @Ontario Chick have you had any birds eat the straw? I looked at a bag at TSC last week and it was my only concern when I saw the short pieces. I know I'm probably concerned about nothing but I've read of chickens filling their crops with straw or hay and after my battles with my one old girl and her crop I'm leary of introducing anything new that might cause an issue.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:36 am

@Happy , I haven't seen any of my hens eating the straw bedding, and haven't seen any signs of crop problems.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:44 am

Happy wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:21 pm
I use shavings as a matter of convenience but I hate them. Dust, dust and more dust. It really can't be good for the birds. I know it's not good for me. @Jaye and @Ontario Chick have you had any birds eat the straw? I looked at a bag at TSC last week and it was my only concern when I saw the short pieces. I know I'm probably concerned about nothing but I've read of chickens filling their crops with straw or hay and after my battles with my one old girl and her crop I'm leary of introducing anything new that might cause an issue.
Jaye wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:36 am
@Happy , I haven't seen any of my hens eating the straw bedding, and haven't seen any signs of crop problems.
Same here, the only thing I miss about using whole straw, is that there was always a "party" when new straw was aded, with hens looking to see what they could find usually some missed grain was still in there.
With the chopped straw, there isn't that kind of reaction, they scrape to see, but not finding anything there is no effort to eat it.
I suspect that whatever bedding you use, there is a small amount digested just by accident, but as long as they have access to grit, either from being outside or from feed which should have it included.
Happy, have you considered adding a feeder with grit? I know it's all supposed to be in the "complete" layer ration, but basing on the amount of oyster shells our hens consume, I am thinking it's all a bare minimum.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:50 am

Thanks for the info ladies. I have 2 rabbit feeders that hold grit (regular and chick grit for my wee guys) and oyster shell. They have access to that every day. I haven’t seen anything foreign come out of my old girl. No tangles of grass or seeds. Everything is just moving very slowly

Return to “Health”