Question  Chicken Food

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Chicken Food

Post by KimChick » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:51 am

I need a good sounding board, and PTO is it!
The chicks that I hatched are now 13 weeks old and are mixed in with all the other hens and rooster.
Because it is now impossible to separate the feeding stations, I have been mixing the chick grower food with the laying mash.
Then I am reading that the chicks should stay on grower until they start laying, which makes sense.
So... I'm thinking that continuing mixing the feeds until the chicks get to 18 weeks would be OK.
The hens still have their calcium free choice dish.
Does this sound like a do-able "work with what you've got" plan?

Best Answer by LongCrow » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:10 pm
You could switch the grower out for pullet developer. Most feed mills carry it. The protein level may be a little lower.
If they still get to roam outdoors then I would not be too concerned leaving as is.

GO TO FULL POST ➙

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Re: Chicken Food

Post by LongCrow » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:10 pm

You could switch the grower out for pullet developer. Most feed mills carry it. The protein level may be a little lower.
If they still get to roam outdoors then I would not be too concerned leaving as is.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:39 pm

the “grower” feed is meant as a sole ration for frankenchickens. if you have more ordinary birds then feeding laying mash now (along with all the other goodies they likely get) would be fine (in my opinion).
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:59 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:39 pm
the “grower” feed is meant as a sole ration for frankenchickens. if you have more ordinary birds then feeding laying mash now (along with all the other goodies they likely get) would be fine (in my opinion).
They weren't getting THAT feed; they were getting whatever comes after the chick medicated starter and before laying mash. The chick grower and meat chicken food aren't the same, are they? I never actually paid attention to that detail.
As of this afternoon, we only have laying mash left anyway, so that is what all the chickens got.
Thanks for the input! And all the chickens do get goodies, too.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:21 am

I have a range from 1, 4, and 6 months chicks along with my laying pullets and hens. I have totally given up with trying to separate food. My laying hens Love the chick starter and my chicks love the lay mash. So, I just put everything out and refill when needed.

There is a whole other discussion on where or not to even feed chick starter. Since I've had 3 broody hen raise my chicks for me this year, they show the little ones what and how to eat. Most of the time if you offer both they go for laying mash and the little chicks just eat the smaller bits. In the end, if they are healthy it's all good!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:47 am

Kbr42 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:21 am
I have a range from 1, 4, and 6 months chicks along with my laying pullets and hens. I have totally given up with trying to separate food. My laying hens Love the chick starter and my chicks love the lay mash. So, I just put everything out and refill when needed.

There is a whole other discussion on where or not to even feed chick starter. Since I've had 3 broody hen raise my chicks for me this year, they show the little ones what and how to eat. Most of the time if you offer both they go for laying mash and the little chicks just eat the smaller bits. In the end, if they are healthy it's all good!
Yup, that is pretty much the sentiment I have acquired, too. After mixing the 2 feeds for a few days, all that is left is laying mash. In the morning, I have been adding very warm water to the mash; all the chickens seem to prefer it that way. At dinner time, I just give it dry.

Return to “Health”