Eye drops for chicks?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
kdms
Newly Hatched Chick

Eye drops for chicks?

Post by kdms » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:52 pm

It's not been a good week for our chickens....if you didn't have a chicken first aid kit set up, what type of drops would you use in the chronically gummed up eyes of an approximately 11 week old chick?

We've used saline and water....baby eye drops, maybe?

Thanks...Karen

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Eye drops for chicks?

Post by ross » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:03 pm

Drip warm tea bag juice in eye & hold tea bag on eye till improvement . I do twice a day .luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Eye drops for chicks?

Post by Jaye » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Yes, what Ross said ... I use chamomile tea bags soaked in warm water, and held against eyes for a few minutes, a couple of times a day.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kdms
Newly Hatched Chick

Eye drops for chicks?

Post by kdms » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:22 pm

Ok....I don't have any tea bags but do have looseleaf. Would drops from a dropper with warm tea be ok instead of a compress?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Eye drops for chicks?

Post by WLLady » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:35 pm

or soak a piece of papertowel (not kleenex or toilet paper, that falls apart too easily) in the warm tea and use it.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Eye drops for chicks?

Post by ross » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:35 pm

Yep soak into soft rag or cotton ball . Drip on then hold the warmth is part of the healing . Luck

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Eye drops for chicks?

Post by Jaye » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:40 pm

I think the reason for using a tea bag is because it works as a poultice to draw out infection.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Eye drops for chicks?

Post by ross » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:42 pm

My reason is "it works " . The tea itself no bag is a great cure for eye grunch problems even human .
When i was cowboying out west we ran bout 2000 head a cows , calfs , bulls , heifers on 9000 acres , free range . Pink eye was an issue & usually we roped um stretched um out , & give um a penicyllin shot in the eyelid & glue a patch over eye to keep flys out . A new hand was hired one day & he come along with amongst many useful ideas an unusual treatment . 20 cc shot of Carnation Evaporated Milk inter muscular in the hip . The rational was by injecting a foreighn body that did no damage it woke up the "packman " i call um good bugs to come & destroy the sudden influx of bad / foreign body that they also went & destroyed the pink eye as well . No patch no penicillin . All i know is it worked . Luck

Return to “Health”