Pigeon Canker

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
PigeonManNick
Newly Hatched Chick

Pigeon Canker

Post by PigeonManNick » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Hello everyone.

For the past month or so, my pigeons have had bad canker. I've used Ronidazole for 7 days as recommended, which seemed to have made the problem lessen. A day or so later, many of the birds seemed unwell again. Fluffed up, and yawning, and breathing strangely. I'm beginning to think that my birds may have sinus canker. So, I used Dimetridzole for 7 days as well. This seemed to help a few birds but several birds in my flock have passed away during this time. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? If this continues I may contact a vet.

Thanks

Nick
White Homing Pigeons, American and English Budgies, and Finches
Email to see what I have available budgie789@gmail.com

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Pigeon Canker

Post by ross » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:59 pm

Is your loft well ventilated . Are you feeding pellets or mixed pigeon grains . ?
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:19 pm

Can’t remember it’s been so long since I’ve had it here . Think at the time I used Emtryl . Hopefully one of the other pigeon guys with a memory will come on Or call Glenn at Fanciers Specialty or CU racing pigeons on Monday . Both carry mfg treatment I’m sure . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:47 pm

Are you positive it's canker? Candidiasis (thrush), aspergillosis and vitamin A deficiency (common in grain only diets) can cause the same symptoms and lesions.
Grains can also be a source of repeated infection, due to their sharp bits scratching up the esophagus and crop, so if it's canker the drugs could have knocked it back but their diet could be making it flare up again. The only way to know for sure is to scrape a lesion and view it under a microscope, or to keep adding treatments until something works.
You can try adding some cod liver oil to their food, for the vitamins, and adding an antifungal medication like clotrimizole. If it's candidiasis or aspergillosis, the other two "zole" medications won't work.

PigeonManNick
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by PigeonManNick » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:55 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. The birds seem to be getting better. In fact most of them are completely back to normal health. I will keep an eye on the situation.

Thanks
White Homing Pigeons, American and English Budgies, and Finches
Email to see what I have available budgie789@gmail.com

Return to “Health”