New medication rules

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

New medication rules

Post by LongCrow » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:10 pm

Does anyone know if the upcoming stricter rules for medications (set by the Liberals) is still coming into effect in January? Most over the counter livestock drugs will no longer be available without a veterinary prescription. This will cause livestock to suffer more as people will be hesitant to call a vet.
If you feel the same way you can contact the Hon. Ernie Hardeman (Agriculture minister) to let him know your view as I have done.

ernie.hardeman@pc.ola.org

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: New medication rules

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:41 pm

It's purportedly changing in December, and many stores have already jacked the price of soon-to-be-unavailable drugs, and many other stores have already removed them from the shelves. I would not exactly blame the Liberals, but rather a recommendation by WHO that was thoroughly jumped upon by veterinarians...the push and input from vets was the deciding factor. Of course, it could have just been Liberal vets, who knows? LOL But at any rate, it is felt that people who can't seem to take a full course of antibiotics for themselves, should not be free to buy and administer antibiotics to animals. The theory is that this practice of a layman medicating their animals, contributes to antibiotic resistance in humans. Which would be a fairly sound theory, with some evidence to support it, but not all hands are on deck, only a "majority of veterinarians". What smells rotten to me is that 1.) Tylosin and Tiamulin are getting banned, and they are not used in humans, and 2.) there seems to be no outcry about the OTC antibiotics in toothpaste, wound cream, or eye/ear drops.
No, I think vets are just hoping for more business, and more medication markups. And they'll get it, at least some.
I've no doubt, that there will be animals that will suffer because of the upcoming regulations. I've also no doubt that the SPCA won't be far behind... poop, animal-expert-type people are already complaining about rabbits being kept in *gasp* cages, and dogs with runny eyes, and chickens molting. The current "every animal should be a pet and needs to be regularly seen and treated by professionals" mentality is prevalent and getting stronger. Vets see dollar signs. Animal rights activists see a cause they can actually win.
Money talks, and most small poultry (or other livestock) breeders don't have any ;) My best suggestion, is to get REAL friendly with your vet, because although it's *faintly* possible a large outcry of livestock owners will eventually relax the rules, in the meantime, those rules ARE coming.
Oh, and stock up now.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Is that federal or provincial?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:27 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:43 pm
Is that federal or provincial?
It's federal Colin :(
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... bials.html

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:40 am

I hate all politicians equally.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Health”