Information Vent Gleet! Oh, Vent Gleet! I hate you! You stink!

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Vent Gleet! Oh, Vent Gleet! I hate you! You stink!

Post by Jaye » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:03 pm

please be careful using the applicator.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:08 pm

You sent your partner? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Birdock co-op12
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Birdock co-op12 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:22 pm

image (8).jpg
Hey folks!!

How do you know when vent gleet is recoverable or not? I have a red sexlink hen who I have been giving daily baths and also making sure she's eating and have given her a bit of canesten near her vent.

However, It's not looking great. there is a large swollen area under her vent (underbelly). It's not quite as big as a tennis ball. Is this common? if so what is it? is it backed up poop? or just swollen intestines? An egg?

Today was the first day that she did not want to eat the liquefied rations that I tried to feed her. She's still drinking water.

Any thoughts on when it's humane to euthanize or whether it's possible she might recover?

Thanks for any insights.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:54 pm

@Birdock co-op12 , I really can't tell you what's going on with your hen, other than it's almost definitely not vent gleet. If you if you have been giving daily baths with no improvement and have found a large swollen area under her vent, it's something else. It could be any number of things; maybe prolapse, or she may be egg-bound, ors he may have some sort of cancerous tumour in her abdominal area, or something else - and I don't know.; I'm not an avian vet and have had no real life experience with anything similar. I don't think there is any way you can know for sure unless you do a post-mortem necropsy.
As for when it's time ... well, unfortunately you will have to make that decision alone, but based on what you have said - not eating, only drinking - I'd say it's definitely decision time. What I can say is that I have never looked back on cases when the decision to euthanize was made and said to myself "I should've waited a bit longer"; in most cases I have said " I should have done it sooner - too much unnecessary suffering before the inevitable".
Sorry.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Health”