Information Vent Gleet! Oh, Vent Gleet! I hate you! You stink!

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Vent Gleet! Oh, Vent Gleet! I hate you! You stink!

Post by Jaye » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:16 am

I believe that Vent Gleet is a condition of circumstances, and not a sign of inherent weakness in a hen: It’s the end result of a stressful episode that has altered (raised) the pH of the cloaca and predisposed it and all the associated organs to infection. Some hens are more susceptible to it than others in their flock and/or had a compromised immune system for some other reason.

The best approach to successful treatment is to counteract the effect of stress (i.e. acidify cloaca), stimulate immunity, control secondary infections, identify and eliminate (if possible) the stress factor.

If you’ve been experiencing the heat wave conditions like we have over the last few weeks and have now have Vent Gleet showing up in your flock, I’d bet that heat stress is the root cause or at least a major contributing factor.
I have a theory that during very hot, humid periods the feed (grain) does absorb excess moisture from the air, which creates an ideal environment for yeast to proliferate. One of the reasons that vent gleet is so difficult to treat is because most flocks are on a feed that is grain-based, high carbohydrate (complex sugar, which is what Candida Albicans thrives on). This is anecdotal, mind you - I don’t have the scientific research sources to back this up - but I’ve been hypothesizing for quite a while about why Vent Gleet is so persistent and difficult to cure.

When one of my hens had Vent Gleet this past spring, I gave her extra greens, wild bird seeds, extra protein in the form of mealworms and scrambled eggs, and extra calcium, in hopes that she would not eat as much layer ration when she was back with the flock in between treatments. I figured that if she filled up on more low-carb food, then there would be less for the yeast/fungus to thrive on. This would result in the culture dying back enough to allow re-population of more friendly / healthy bacteria, which would in turn lower pH levels and promote healing. I’m no scientist; it’s just my theory. Anyway, she did recover. I have no way to verify, really, that the change I made to her diet as part of her treatment made a difference, but I like to think it may have helped.

I just recently found a recommendation for another oral anti-fungal that has been used to treat Vent Gleet in poultry: metronidazole (Flagyl) tablets (100mg per kilogram / 2.2 pounds of body weight). I don’t know if this medication is even available OTC, though.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Vent Gleet! Oh, Vent Gleet! I hate you! You stink!

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:55 pm

:good post:

No, metronidazole is not available over the counter, not in North America, anyway. You can order it off e-bay as an aquarium treatment or for pet use though, or at least it USED to be available.
As an aside, it is also effective to treat canker, blackhead, and various other nasties.

Allan
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Allan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:06 pm

You can buy metronadizole at Petsmart in the fish med aisle as a product called ‘General Cure’. It’s made by API and is a tablet that dissolves in water. You will just need to calculate the dose. Hope that’s helpful.
Last edited by Allan on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:24 pm

Thanks, @Allan , that is most helpful!
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Allan
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Allan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:45 pm

You’re welcome. I stumbled across it when I couldn’t find canker meds for my pigeons(back when I kept them). There are so few effective meds available for birds in Canada that you need to become your own vet and figure out the off label uses for what’s available. I now use 1% cattle ivermectin and titrate the dose down to 0.1 ml(1 drop) for my bantams and 0.2(2 drops)for my ducks and and use it to deworm/delouse them. I inject in the breast muscle with diabetic needles that I buy over the counter at Walmart. It works great and I get comments on how healthy my birds appear. A $10 bottle lasts for two years where as I would spend $70+ for ‘Spot on’ ivermectin drops for birds in a tiny bottle that wouldn’t even do the flock once. And I would have to source it from outside the country and have it shipped. Same drug....just takes some brain work to figure the dose....or just google what dose others have come up with lol.

modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by modern17 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:32 pm

The vent gleet you describe is basically a yeast infection. I utilized over the counter clotrimazole .. a generic version of Canesten , from my local drug store.. used it two days straight both in and out of the cloaca . It has cleared. No issues since. Used the applicator for the internal and using a glove I treated the vent area. Quick and simple cure , at least it worked for my birds.
TL

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:00 am

modern17 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:32 pm
The vent gleet you describe is basically a yeast infection. I utilized over the counter clotrimazole .. a generic version of Canesten , from my local drug store.. used it two days straight both in and out of the cloaca . It has cleared. No issues since. Used the applicator for the internal and using a glove I treated the vent area. Quick and simple cure , at least it worked for my birds.
TL
Ok, great idea! My issue is that I have to purchase it at the drug store...the last time I had to purchase anti-itch cream and preparation H...the looks I got when I went to pay.....I really just want to explain......it's for my chickens........lol

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Kbr42 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:00 am

Ok, great idea! My issue is that I have to purchase it at the drug store...the last time I had to purchase anti-itch cream and preparation H...the looks I got when I went to pay.....I really just want to explain......it's for my chickens........lol
roflmbo

I know, right? I tend to buy those sorts of things through the mail. www.well.ca is great. One time I was dealing with a bad vitamin A deficiency (bought feed in bulk, and it turned out to be really vitamin deficient...had birds with eye damage before I caught on) and I went cruising drug stores for cod liver oil. Took me three stores to find a bottle, and had some interesting conversations along the way that I would have rather avoided for the sake of expediency. Elderly folks heard "cod liver oil" and came swarming to me wishing to tell their horror stories of being forced to drink it as children :laugh: and I had to explain in detail what I was using it for, lest they think I was abusing my children :rofl:

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:04 pm

So, i sent my partner...plan B....to get something with chotrimazle.....success...lol

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:36 pm

I bought some Chotrimazle too. Already used a small tube of Cannestan, but I was concerned that it wasn't getting "inside" properly, so I bought the container with the applicators and will try again.

Thanks Modern for the recommendation :).

Return to “Health”