Scaly Leg Mite Treatment

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
nekoatsume
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Scaly Leg Mite Treatment

Post by nekoatsume » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:41 am

What type of Ivermectin works again, externally? Pour on? What’s the dose for bantam birds? Does anyone still eat the eggs? What can I treat the coop with - will bleach work? I’m burning the roosts.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Scaly Leg Mite Treatment

Post by WLLady » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:30 am

for leg mites i use pour on right on the leg scales and rub it in. wear gloves or you will get dosed with ivermectin too! for my standards i use 0.75 ml putting about 0.25 dropped on the bird, and then 0.25 on each leg. and rub it in through the scales. for a bantie the dose will be much less than that-likely 0.5 ml for the roosters for the entire dose...then split that between the drip on and rub on the legs.
some people will also smother the mites by smearing vegetable oil on the birds legs to seal them in, or vaseline. i found this is a great way to get one super dirty bird super fast.....but it also apparently works, but you need to reapply daily....where the ivermec you do day 1 and day 10.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:32 am

Yeah, what @WLLady said. You can use Ivermectin externally; the pour-on stuff is what most recommend.
I found what worked for me was two applications of Ivermectin topically, between the shoulder blades (or whatever they're called on chickens), 7 to 10 days apart. I also cleaned off their legs, then liberally slathering VetRX onto them, and reapplying regularly until after the last Ivermectin treatment. Others use Vaseline, cooking oil, coconut oil, or any kind of oil, really - same basic principle: suffocate the buggers! I used VetRX because (a) I had it, and (b) it's got other ingredients that promote healing.
As for the roosts, I cleaned and disinfected the roost bars, then applied Neem oil to them as well and let it soak in. Again, any oil will work if you don't have Neem oil. My roosts are unfinished 2 x 3s.
I also replaced the coop bedding.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:32 pm

Just curious do you need to withhold eggs when using ivermec externally?
Cheers Karen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:37 pm

OK so don't shoot me but I eat the eggs when I use Ivermectin. It is used under special clearance for parasites in humans on occasion. I don't sell them though.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:48 pm

You don't sell what? Parasites? Humans? Please try to be a little bit more articulate.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:49 pm

Well mostly the eggs but I may pass on a few parasites for free if you know me reeeeeeelly well!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:19 pm

If its OK, I will pass on them too.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:42 pm

:hijacked: ..but in a weird way.... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:44 am

Scaly leg is simply awful. When I first discovered my birds had it, they'd already had it for years, and I passed it off as normal, because all the hens that obviously had it were old. I thought it was just something old chicken scales naturally did, when in fact, it just takes time to show the ugly damage. By the time you see lifted scales, they've been there a year. White crusties, two years or more.
I tried the Vaseline daily, Vicks vapor rub daily, cooking oil infused with oregano and peppermint. I scrubbed, picked, peeled and oiled for months with little improvement. THEN I found out that with a severe, chronic case like I had, even if the mites were long gone, the legs scales would not look normal again until they fell out and regrew. If heavily diseased, you can soak and scrub the worst of them off, but some ugly scales will resist until they moult out. I also found out that the microscopic bugs are everywhere, and even if you burn the coop down, they'll just move into the new one. You cannot completely eradicate them, only control, and ivermectin does the trick.
I went through a boatload of trouble for nothing. Now I just ivermectin everyone twice a year. It kills various parasites, including cecal worms, which is important for me because I also have turkeys and the blackhead parasite.
I personally have no qualms about eating eggs from treated birds, but mostly, the week after treatment, I set them for hatching. I use pour-on, applied with a syringe (no needle). I lift a wing and drop the stuff on bare skin. It has to touch bare skin and be absorbed (or ingested by the bird) to work, and under the wing close to the body is very bald and very vascular. It has not EVER, in my experience, irritated their skin in any way, nor caused any problems if I accidentally squirted WAY too much while dealing with a struggling screamer.

Return to “Health”