Scaly Leg Mite Treatment

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Scaly Leg Mite Treatment

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:45 am

Thanks very much @windwalkingwolf that helps a lot. I can't imagine there is a lot of ivermec in each egg regardless since you are using such a low dose. But I will keep them aside anyway.

Cheers Karen

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:18 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:44 am
Scaly leg is simply awful. When I first discovered my birds had it, they'd already had it for years, and I passed it off as normal, because all the hens that obviously had it were old. I thought it was just something old chicken scales naturally did, when in fact, it just takes time to show the ugly damage. By the time you see lifted scales, they've been there a year. White crusties, two years or more.
I tried the Vaseline daily, Vicks vapor rub daily, cooking oil infused with oregano and peppermint. I scrubbed, picked, peeled and oiled for months with little improvement. THEN I found out that with a severe, chronic case like I had, even if the mites were long gone, the legs scales would not look normal again until they fell out and regrew. If heavily diseased, you can soak and scrub the worst of them off, but some ugly scales will resist until they moult out. I also found out that the microscopic bugs are everywhere, and even if you burn the coop down, they'll just move into the new one. You cannot completely eradicate them, only control, and ivermectin does the trick.
I went through a boatload of trouble for nothing. Now I just ivermectin everyone twice a year. It kills various parasites, including cecal worms, which is important for me because I also have turkeys and the blackhead parasite.
I personally have no qualms about eating eggs from treated birds, but mostly, the week after treatment, I set them for hatching. I use pour-on, applied with a syringe (no needle). I lift a wing and drop the stuff on bare skin. It has to touch bare skin and be absorbed (or ingested by the bird) to work, and under the wing close to the body is very bald and very vascular. It has not EVER, in my experience, irritated their skin in any way, nor caused any problems if I accidentally squirted WAY too much while dealing with a struggling screamer.
:iagree: I discovered it in my flock a few years back, and I found the only thing that really worked was Ivermectin. In addition, I rubbed coconut oil or VetRX on their legs. I think it helped - if nothing else, it's soothing.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

sue_den@hotmail.com
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by sue_den@hotmail.com » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi everyone ... can you you share with me where I can buy the ivermectin. I have a number of scaly legged girls and have tried the oil, Vaseline, etc. etc. Route with no success. Thanks for your help.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:27 pm

Your local feed store should have it.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:23 pm

Probably sold as Bimectin.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:42 am

or pour on ivomec for sheep or cattle
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

sue_den@hotmail.com
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by sue_den@hotmail.com » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:28 pm

Afternoon everyone ... with many products being pulled from the shelves, I wondered if if I would need to go to a vet to get it. Again, thanks for your help.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:03 pm

No its still at the feed stores, I got mine last week at the TSC store.

sue_den@hotmail.com
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by sue_den@hotmail.com » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Thank you very much for the excellent info ... one last (at least for today) question. How long will I need to withhold the eggs once the hens have been treated with ivermectin? Is this information provided with the product?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:43 pm

my vet recommended 10 days post treatment. but keep in mind that ivermectin works great for mites/lice and scaly mite when done in 2 treatments each 7-10 days apart. so if you treat, then withdraw 10 days, treat again at 7 days (within the 10 day withdraw period) then you need another 10 days for withdraw which means 17 days all told.....10 days from your LAST treatment.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Health”