Heat affecting poop?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Penny
On the Roost

Heat affecting poop?

Post by Penny » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:24 pm

Been a crazy heat wave here the last while and today I noticed a couple hens with diarrhea type poop. Could it be caused by the heat or could I potentially be dealing with something more?

Chooks free range all day and have plenty of access to water and shaded areas. I've also recently treated the coops with livestock dust for mites.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Heat affecting poop?

Post by Happy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:13 am

Penny wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:24 pm
Been a crazy heat wave here the last while and today I noticed a couple hens with diarrhea type poop. Could it be caused by the heat or could I potentially be dealing with something more?

Chooks free range all day and have plenty of access to water and shaded areas. I've also recently treated the coops with livestock dust for mites.
A chicken cools itself by drinking a lot a water. What goes in must come out and it usually means runny poop. My guess would be that's all it is.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:49 am

Mine are a bit like that too. I have electrolytes in the water but the poop is still a bit runny. They don't sweat out the excess water so this is how they get rid of it.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:11 am

Same here. Watermelon makes for runny waste, and they've had lot of it over the past week, so I expected it. I would rather runny waste than a chicken with heat stroke. 😉
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Penny
On the Roost

Post by Penny » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 am

Whew! Thanks for alleviating my concerns!

Return to “Health”