Coccidiosis maybe?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Coccidiosis maybe?

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Yikes help!
This morning someone crapped blood in the pen that holds five week old chicks. I ran out of medicated feed and was using grower. I moved them to a bigger pen Saturday, I thought their old pen was getting too small but everyone seemed happy and healthy.

Should I wait and see, it looks like the last time it happened. Is there anything that I can do or is there only the medication that will help? This can go wrong fast so I am just looking for input from the experienced people please.

But I luv my non experienced poultry keepers too, lol.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Coccidiosis maybe?

Post by WLLady » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:48 pm

you need to get some amprolium. many feed stores will have it for cattle. the medicated feed is a preventative, if they were off it and then got cocci you will need a much higher dose than what is in the feed to actually beat it back. the dose for them is on the bottle.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:39 pm

Don't wait! What she said - good luck.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:19 pm

No, don't wait! If you have some cream, you can make them drink it to help soothe inflamed bowels, but it's a very temporary stopgap. They need medicine quickly.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:08 pm

No, don't wait. Something to think about Cocci stays in your soil. You'd can't get rid of it. I learned the hard way with that one. So, when I introduce new chicks to my environment I do it slowly and make sure they only have medicated chick starter. Then I watch. The first sign one is slowing down I put vitamins into their water for a few days and keep them inside. Then I try the process again. It seems to work for me. I have a group that's out side all day now and no one is showing any ill effects.
Good luck....

Cheers,

Return to “Health”