some yolks break easily

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
KimChick
Head Chicken

some yolks break easily

Post by KimChick » Tue May 29, 2018 8:53 am

Just had an egg customer mention that some yolks break easily; then upon relaying this info to DH, he agreed.
I use eggs fairly regularly, and I have not found this often enough to be worth worrying about.
So I Googled it. Possible causes could range between:
not enough protein;
moulting or;
stress.
Those cover a lot in a hen's life!
Perhaps letting them wander more often would be the answer? They do not seem stressed.
Any ideas?

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: some yolks break easily

Post by labradors » Tue May 29, 2018 2:13 pm

That's interesting. My chicken's yolks do not break easily, but I have to buy store-bought eggs for my dogs because we do not have enough "good" eggs for us all every day. I have noticed that after breaking a store-bought egg over each dog bowl and leaving their bowls to warm up before serving the two princesses. When I return later to feed them their breakfasts, the yolks have broken! I found that odd as I didn't think I'd whacked them that hard, so it's probably that the yolks simply break easily.

Linda

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: some yolks break easily

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:13 am

Store eggs, I would expect is that they are old by the standards of most of us. You look at a best before date on a shipment of eggs that the store just got and its about two months. Advertising standards consider a farm fresh egg as one that is not rotten.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Health”