Chicks....yukky poop. Disease or ?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Penny
On the Roost

Chicks....yukky poop. Disease or ?

Post by Penny » Mon May 28, 2018 7:23 am

5 chicks. Hatched April 15th. Have been outside for the past couple days but brought in at night. This morning I noticed yukky poop...yellowish and creamy with a few that looked like it could have blood in it. They are all alert and active...no outward signs of distress. I think I'm feeding medicated chick starter...will double check the bag.

Should I be worried? Beginning of cocci? Or just a change due to being outside during a hot couple of days?
Attachments
20180526_084904.jpg

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Chicks....yukky poop. Disease or ?

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:26 am

My uneducated guess is just the change, finding bugs etc. Also, my opinion, healthy 6 wks old and free range do not need to be on medicated feed. They will get exposed to some pathogens and develop their immunities naturally to some of them. And yes, you can lose some that way, but the flock will be stronger and healthier overall.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon May 28, 2018 9:50 am

i would agree with change in diet. chicks also naturally shed intestinal tract as they get older and their food changes, so are you sure it's blood and not pinkish tissue? blood is usually a coccidiosis thing and with them on medicated feed it shouldn't be that. my bet is its a bit of tissue from their systems growing and changing, and it will likely stop in a couple of days.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Penny
On the Roost

Post by Penny » Mon May 28, 2018 10:02 am

Thankyou!Thankyou! I worry about these little guys so much!

Return to “Health”