What's wrong with my rooster?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
kdms
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by kdms » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:05 pm

He's so gentle and an awesome protector - he'd even protect my toddler and myself from the evil buckeye we culled. We were really hoping to find a way to integrate him back in with the rest of the flock. :( What else besides scrambled eggs can I tempt him with?

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:10 pm

Scrambled eggs are very good, try maybe a few flakes of oatmeal (not horse oats, human oatmeal) - he needs energy but he needs it to be easily and quickly digested. Chickens have a very high metabolic rate, they go down fast if they aren't eating. My chickens go crazy for sesame seeds but if he's never had them, he might not even sample them. Try to offer him food often. If he eats just a tiny bit each time, great.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

kdms
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by kdms » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:15 pm

Cooked or uncooked? We've always got instant oats....husband has them every morning.

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:32 pm

I am sorry he is not doing well. If you look at the poop chart I had linked the one that looks closet to your fellow poop is he may have some parasite. I will also post a link to where I get all my chicken medicines, it is in Cambridge On but they will ship!

http://www.farmersfarmacy.com/gc/gc_page
Last edited by Flat Rock Farm on Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:34 pm

Also try giving him some plain yogurt with the scrambled eggs, the probiotics may help his guts a bit.

kdms
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by kdms » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:38 pm

Thanks everyone. The back of his comb is starting to darken again....and he's completely ignored the oats. Seems like he just wants to sleep. If he's still with us in the morning I'll try the yogurt with eggs again. :(

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:52 pm

Oh no....... kdms I'm so sorry you have had such bad luck with the roosters.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

kdms
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by kdms » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:09 pm

You know, this is our first year with chickens, and every single one of our neighbours either has them or has had them in the past. We've raised 81 birds this year. We've lost two chicks to accidents, one chick to illness, one hen to a coyote, one hen to an overenthusiastic rooster, one meat bird managed to get itself smothered at 8 weeks, one OCD insane rooster was culled, and one rooster was rehomed to save its life from said insane rooster. According to our neighbours, a 91% success rate in our first year as rookies is really great.

I don't buy it. None of them are supposed to die, damn the statistics. Grr..... (vent done :|)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:15 pm

I am sorry....I have been through this too-pretty sure its heart....if his breastbone is showing really badly he is probably past the point of return. Very sorry to say.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:32 am

Sorry to hear he's not doing well. I'll never be able to be detached from my birds, they're pets too.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Health”