What's wrong with my rooster?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
kdms
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by kdms » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:30 pm

Help please...what's wrong with my rooster? He's barely eaten the last two days and is listless...and is having poops that look like this.
20160130_171323.jpg

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: What's wrong with my rooster?

Post by Jaye » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:19 pm

No idea what's wrong, but try putting some Stress-aid or similar product in his water. Also, if you can, bring him inside in a crate, and monitor what he's eating and drinking. I would give him something he likes and see if he takes it. Scrambled eggs always works for me. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Last edited by Jaye on Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:00 pm

Almost looks like those poops that happen when birds eat Buckthorn seeds- are they black, or a very deep teal blue green? Those can cause stomach upset. Any chance he ate anything that was too rich, like molasses/sweet feed for horses?
Black is sometimes an indication of small intestine or bleeding higher up.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:38 pm

How old is he?
What do you feed him?
Does he have access to grit?
Did you check him for mites? and general body condition?

kdms
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by kdms » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:13 pm

He's 9 months old and has been on the standard layer pellets with some scratch and ground buckwheat mixed in. He's kind of been in isolation for the last month (our brooder coop has a baby gate dividing it and he can see the hen and chicks in the other half of the coop) ever since he lost his king of the coop title last month and had the snot beaten out of him by a new, older, and much bigger English Black Orpington. We haven't been able to reintegrate him back in with the rest of the flock, so until the weather improves (and we can build another coop outside and try again), he's stuck in the garage with the chicks.

Everybody's getting ACV in their water right now, but he hasn't been getting any grit - clearly an oversight. Up until yesterday morning, he gave the appearance of great health. But now his comb seemsa little less perky than usual and he seems overly tired....

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:23 pm

Watch his comb for darkening-going darker to purplish is heart giving out. If it is his heart it will happen within a couple of days so you will know shortly if it is. :-(
Also check and see how much meat is on his breast and if his crop has anything in it. If his crop is full i would suspect impacted crop....that poop is "empty system" poop. Nothing in there but bile and gut to poop out. You can try to get him to eat some hard boiled egg...if he doesnt eat that then i am afraid its not good. If he has lottle to no meat on his breast he hasnt been eating and has been sick for a while....
you can try super booster or stress aid, and hard boiled mashed egg...see if that gets him eating and drinking.
Good luck...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:54 am

Here is a link to the chicken poop chart, it might help..............

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/?topic=17568.0

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:27 am

How is he today?

kdms
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by kdms » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:50 pm

I'm starting to prepare for the worst. We brought him inside this morning (he's living in our bathtub for now) and his crop is totally empty and his breastbone is starting to sink. He was interested in some plain scrambled eggs this morning....but nothing since, and I managed to get some ACV/sugar water into him this morning, but nothing since. Lots of green watery poop with white. His body feathers are falling out...do roosters moult? Also, when we brought him in, the tips of his comb were dark, but over the course of the day they've gone back to red, which I took as a good sign, initially....but now I just don't know. :(

When I google anything about treatment the common answer is 'pop into your local co-op and pick up xyz', where xyz is usually antibiotics and probiotics for chickens. Every time I make a phone call to the local TSC or co-op I get nothing but denial that they carry anything like that and have no idea where to get the stuff and usually recommend calling a vet. Where do you guys get your first aid supplies for your chickens?

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:00 pm

kdms........ :-( I'm sorry, if he won't eat that's never a good sign. But, I'd keep trying to offer him goodies frequently. I'm still hoping for you.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Return to “Health”