Bloody vent - prolapse

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Bloody vent - prolapse

Post by labradors » Wed May 23, 2018 12:23 pm

Many thanks Happy. I just examined her again, wearing my reading glasses and using a magnifying glass. I didn't see any insects, so that's good, but there is some clotted blood. Will give her a good clean-up after lunch. I have some Gentian Violet I could use before allowing her back with the flock. She was very good at "stand for examination" on the perch! Much better than having to be held :)

I guess it's better to keep her separate for a few more days, even though she is squawking her disgust with that idea.....

Linda

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed May 23, 2018 6:43 pm

Yes, keep her separated until she's healed. If tissue pushes out and the others see it, they will shred her. I had a turkey tear apart her OWN prolapse, it was an awful sight. If there's blood or raw tissue, they will eat it. Other hens may have learned that tissue pushes out when Isobel strains, and are now hoping for a yummy treat They are little Tyrannosaurus'.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed May 23, 2018 7:56 pm

Eeeooow! How ghastly!

Thanks for the warning WWW. I gave her a bath this afternoon (with some Betadine in the water) because I was concerned about some "black stuff" which may have been scabs. She enjoyed the soak and I got a lot of it off. Hopefully another bath tomorrow will remove the rest. I'm going to keep her separated from the others. She had a little blood on her vent this afternoon :(.

Linda

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:03 pm

The blu kote is the stuff....and yes I would look make sure there is nothing odd about her butt. The other girls will only go after her if there is something they can see. I agreed, take her inside just to be sure.

Good luck with her.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu May 24, 2018 7:58 pm

The latest is that a second bird was pecked and bleeding this afternoon :(. Both the sickies had a bath/soak and I rigged up separate runs for them. They are spending the night in separate dog kennels in the basement, but this is ridiculous. I bought some Blu Kote today and I hope to goodness that it works! I've noticed that one of my chickens is very pushy/aggressive now that Isobel isn't in charge :(

Both have scabs on their vents which I assume to be from getting pecked :(.

Linda

Happy

Post by Happy » Thu May 24, 2018 8:41 pm

@labradors if possible post a picture of these scabs. This is getting odd!

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri May 25, 2018 1:16 pm

First attempt at adding a photo so I hope it comes out. Any thoughts on the scabs? Rats! I turned it 90 degrees to the right and it's gone sideways again. Sorry about that :(.

I subsequently sprayed Isobel and friend with Blu-Kote and put them in a run together. When I later tried to put them in with the other girls, Miss Bossy declared a hostile takeover of the brood and went for Isobel's neck. Miss Bossy is now in the isolated run, and I am watching the other three like a hawk.

Linda, easily distinguishable by her blue hands.....
Attachments
P5250004.JPG

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri May 25, 2018 1:45 pm

I suspect one of the others is doing it, you will just have to keep watch. If you have dusting powder put that on their butts. Tastes horrible should stop any pecking there. May have started as a prolapse but someone has tasted and found out it tasted good.

Happy

Post by Happy » Fri May 25, 2018 1:50 pm

Lol I believe peroxide takes that blue off. Wish I knew that the first time I used it and gave myself a purple streak when I tucked hair back.

Is her bum always so naked? Sounds like you’ve got the aggressor pin pointed at least.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri May 25, 2018 2:44 pm

I've tried peroxide (and it did help), dish detergent, soap and a scrubbing brush and finally, rubbing alcohol. I think the R.A. probably worked the best, but this is minor compared to what my chickies are going through.

They always had beautiful fuzzy butts before, and now I only have two with fuzzies, one is really bald and Isobel is a bit bald.

I do have a big container of dusting powder and can use that too! Thanks.

Linda

Return to “Health”