Bloody vent - prolapse

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Bloody vent - prolapse

Post by Happy » Fri May 25, 2018 2:52 pm

Hmmm is the aggressor one with a fuzzy butt? Someone has pulled feathers out of that bum or the hen herself has by scratching. I still wonder if you don’t have a mite or lice issue. I don’t think that caused your poor girls prolapse but it could cause scabs on her vent for sure. I don’t doubt youve checked and checked! They can be very hard to spot though. Especially lice. That poor girls back end looks sore.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri May 25, 2018 3:37 pm

Those definitely look like peck wounds. Good news is, they should heal up just fine as long as the other birds don't make it worse.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri May 25, 2018 3:44 pm

Thanks ladies. Yes fuzzy butts did this to them both! Guess I will have to powder them some more. I did suspect the second bird had lice, and I powdered them all, then forgot to do the second dusting in ten days time. I actually did it fourteen days later.

We are building a new coop, so I obviously don't want to transfer any "nasty" bugs to that!

Linda

Return to “Health”