Disease or living conditions?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Penny
On the Roost

Disease or living conditions?

Post by Penny » Tue May 01, 2018 12:26 pm

This past winter I heard a few of my chickens sneezing once in awhile, but after I added more ventilation, this seemed to dissapear. There was also a few days where my young rooster lost his voice (hubby thought that was great! lol). There was never any other symptoms and no bird ever looked unthrifty.

I've read that once you have a respiratory infection that you must have a closed flock and can never sell any birds. Do you think this was that type of infection, or just related to winter ventilation issues?

I'm looking at buying a few purebred, high dollar value hens, to add to my flock. It is an automatic that they will get sick when I bring them home? Will I be able to sell their eggs/offspring?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Disease or living conditions?

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue May 01, 2018 6:17 pm

Chicken people can be divided in to two kinds, one group never see anything amiss with their flock, although they may be dropping like flies, the other sees deadly disease in every sneeze :)
I may not really have any right to say that since I have had a remarkably healthy flock over the years, but I am pretty sure you dealt with the problem, ventilation increase in timely manner and all is well.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue May 01, 2018 6:55 pm

:good post: :iagree: with Ontario Chick. If it had been anything more serious than a bit of dust or the odd mold spore, you would have had unhealthy-looking birds and it would not have resolved so quickly. Sell away! On the off chance it WAS a respiratory infection, there are very few that are transmissible from mother to egg, and of those that DO, the infected eggs have low hatchability...so even if you did have something nasty in your flock, you could still sell fertile eggs or chicks you hatched yourself.

modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by modern17 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:32 am

As per my previous posts.. ventilation is a key( probably the most Important) component to healthy birds ... My system is not fancy but does work.. never so much as had a sniffle in the winter months since I put this system in.
TL

Return to “Health”