Bald butt

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Bald butt

Post by TomK » Tue May 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Following closely..i have two like this at the moment
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed May 02, 2018 8:27 am

Thanks very much WWW. I will get a picture today.

I was reading about red mites yesterday and scaring myself silly. Apparently, the mites cannot be seen during the day when they hide in crevices in the coop, especially around the roost.

One of my hens lays bloody eggs and this can also be a sign of red mites as it's not chicken blood, but squished red mites!!! There was a very bloody egg again today!

Just in case, yesterday I dusted the roosting bar and the nesting box with some Diatomaceous Earth, but obviously I would need to do a very thorough cleaning if this was the case.

Interesting to hear that "silly things" can trigger stress-related plucking. If I was a chicken, I would be very stressed by the lousy weather, lots of mud, and maybe those dried leaves that I added to their pine shavings when I cleaned everything out recently. The leaves were very dusty and I wish I hadn't used them.

There are no feathers to be seen lying around, and everyone has been laying like clockwork.

Linda

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed May 02, 2018 8:44 am

I had never had mites until this year and Kbr noticed the beginnings on a couple of birds I sold her :oops: :oops: :oops: I dusted with carbaryl at once and all seems fine now. It should be noted that the birds had been given a dose of Ivermectin a week previously so it doesn't always work! Big thanks to Karen for telling me.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed May 02, 2018 10:02 am

I have found mites to be horrible this year. The worst Ive seen in the short time I’ve been looking for them.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed May 02, 2018 11:56 am

I also have red sex-links from Frey's that seem to be going through a molt. All 6 are, however, also lowest in the pecking order from the Black Sex-Links and the older "Diva" Frey's Special Dual Purpose birds, and they do get pecked on. I will have to think about how I can separate them.

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed May 02, 2018 12:42 pm

Re: mites being bad this year...a lot of our "seasonal" birds came back this year before winter was done with us. Hunkered down in the cold, unable to bathe, mite populations go bananas. Mice, rats and raccoons also will carry them from place to place...and in a drawn out winter, mice of course will be around your coops looking for a free meal.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed May 02, 2018 3:46 pm

Unfortuantely, the photography session this morning did not go well and hubby was not around to help. However, I had read all sorts of scary stuff online yesterday and I took my reading glasses with me and had a really good look. I'm pretty sure that I saw LICE egg sacs like the picture on this site: https://hencam.com/faq/chicken-lice/. Horrors! I raced out to the closest farm store and bought a big container of Carbaryl. (I was hesitant as I had wanted to get pyrethrum powder, but they didn't carry it, and told me that the Carbaryl will soon be discontinued). Hubby helped me to powder all the butts, and I cleaned out the coop and sprinkled D.E. on the bare boards before putting fresh straw bedding down. Hopefully all the "bases" are covered if there are any mites.

I will dust them with the Carbaryl again in ten days time to catch any eggs that hatch.

Linda

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed May 02, 2018 4:57 pm

I find the dusting powder works best , DE not so much.

Happy

Post by Happy » Wed May 02, 2018 5:32 pm

I agree with Kenya. I tried DE thinking it would do the trick and I ended up frustrated and infested. So I go straight for the dusting powder now.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:10 pm

Slow to the mark on this, dusting power is the thing that works the best! I found that straw in my nesting boxes guarantees that I have mites in the spring. I stayed away from straw and was pretty much mite free this year. Hope you solved your issue.

Cheers Karen

Return to “Health”