Fertility

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Fertility

Post by kenya » Tue May 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Things I should be doing.
Free ranging on grass increases fertility.
Spinach and leafy greens- excellent source of folic acid- important in optimising sperm production. Great source of iron and vitamin C which helps enhance sperm quality.
Honey - Enhances fertility- rich in the minerals and amino acids that nourish the reproductive system and stimulates ovarian function.
Garlic- Contains an abundance of fertitily boosting nutrients. Great source of the mineral selenium which is thought to enhance male fertility. Garlic is also rich in vitamin B6 which helps to regulate hormones and strengthens the immune system.
Lean red meat- Great source of iron.
Full fat dairy- Research has found that those who eat at least one serving a day are significantly less likely to suffer from fertility problems- great source of calcium.
Oysters- Abundance of zinc. Zinc often considered to be the most important fertility nutrient as it has been shown to help with both healthy sperm and egg production.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue May 01, 2018 9:09 pm

Fertility over here right now is about 75% (being very generous) too, all various mutt roosters of various ages. I think that's a first for me! Except the geese, they're at 100% fertility, BUT, half the eggs have the air cell smack dab in the middle of the SIDE of the egg. WTH? Ducks haven't even started laying yet, and they should have been at it over a month ago. I really think the long, unsettled winter must have had something to do with it.
Both the birds, and I, are VERY glad to see the new green poking up!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed May 02, 2018 10:05 am

kenya wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Well I've been researching on the internet and here are some of my findings.
Males need sunlight after about a month old to optomize growth of the testes.
Feeding bread reduces fertility. Bread is only 4% usuable protein, makes birds run to fat, low in vitamins and minerals. Often the main ingredient in pellets. ( I did not know this and feed pellets)
High protein. Not the best for breeding males because their bodies cannot utilize the extra protein like a laying hen can and that their sperm count and kidneys can be affected in the long term. ( Did not know this and was giving them a high protein diet in the hopes of improving fertility not knowing I was likely making it worse)
Interesting.
We feed 17% pellets and veggies and apples when not outside, and I have tried adding higher protein before breeding season in the past,
BUT this spring they all look in a fine shape so didn't bother with adding anything beside the Fruit, veg and whole oats breakfast to the regular pellets.
It seems to me that there is absolutely no difference between the "higher protein" year and this year as far as fertility goes, it's pretty much what I have expected, a bit better because the Cockerel really likes the wives I have picked for him ;)

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Wed May 02, 2018 11:40 am

Well the higher protein it says effects them in the long term so you likely made no difference short term.
They also recommend a breeder ration be fed, I will have to look around and see if I can even find this.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Wed May 02, 2018 11:42 am

I'm not having any problems with my other birds fertility just the silkies.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Wed May 02, 2018 3:20 pm

And so I begin, bought tuna and spinach that they are having today and they were out most of the afternoon enjoying the sunshine and digging around in the earth. So we shall see if it helps.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu May 03, 2018 10:41 am

Well the tuna was a big hit with the cat, doesn't seem to understand that it wasn't for her.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu May 03, 2018 11:19 am

Tried spinach drizzled with honey, see how they like that ,so far no takers but I know they always view anything new with suspicion, like I'm trying to kill them.
The cat Shelby was all over me today , loved her tuna treat yesterday I guess.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu May 03, 2018 11:22 am

My chickens love spinach in the winter but once it's green outside only a couple of them still like it. The only way I can envision getting honey into them would be mixed into their mush (soaked pellets).

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu May 03, 2018 1:26 pm

I'm hoping the honey over the spinach will make it tasty, just have to wait and see I guess.

Return to “Health”