Do you worm your chickens and what do you use?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Do you worm your chickens and what do you use?

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:09 pm

I agree. They should have invented hyaluronic acid sooner. But though he was not saved he is fondly remembered by the farrier and horse health and veterinary assistant students that learned from his demise.

Just as a side note, did you know that the hyaluronic acid used in medicine is extracted from rooster combs? So we could have saved that suffering horse with the death of how many roosters? Something has to die in order for something else to live. It is the way of nature. Pretty much nothing dies of old age in nature.

So if an animal dies of old age, am I wrong in saying they died an unnatural death?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:29 pm

I didn't know that Hyaluronic Acid was made from extract of rooster combs! How interesting! Poor roosters :(. I do believe that most are doomed from the start though, just for the "crime" of being born male :(. At least their demise helps to feed people AND to help with the suffering of those with painful hips....

Isn't old age the only natural death?

Sorry for helping to completely derail this thread.

Linda

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:30 pm

As my personal doctor says "we treat yu for one thing & you die of another " 🦃🦃 Go figure !!
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:36 pm

labradors wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:29 pm
Poor roosters :(. I do believe that most are doomed from the start though, just for the "crime" of being born male :(. At least their demise helps to feed people AND to help with the suffering of those with painful hips....
:hijacked:
I'm going to derail some more now. What about the poor girls that used to be culled for wanting to be Mamas? Considered a poor production trait.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:03 pm

Yes I do. I usually use ivermectin, twice a year...it gets everything but tape, and cecal worms...but since I have turkeys and a known blackhead problem, I am now using fenbendazole, and use the ivermectin only if I see mites or lice. Speaking of which, one of the dogs just this morning, barfed up a tapeworm AND a round worm. :barf: Fenbendazole for EVERYBODY!!!!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:20 pm

DOn't know what's up with this year, it's the first year any of them have had mites and that was after an Ivermectin treatment!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:28 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:03 pm
Yes I do. I usually use ivermectin, twice a year...it gets everything but tape, and cecal worms...but since I have turkeys and a known blackhead problem, I am now using fenbendazole, and use the ivermectin only if I see mites or lice. Speaking of which, one of the dogs just this morning, barfed up a tapeworm AND a round worm. :barf: Fenbendazole for EVERYBODY!!!!
AAAARRRRGGGG!!!!!!

treerooted
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by treerooted » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:38 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:08 am
I have never heard of squash or cukes for worming? Andy scientific basis, or a folk remedy? Anyone know for sure?
No, no one knows for sure. There just isn't the research money to put into it - especially not for chickens.
There is a scientific basis behind it, but there's no guidelines for how you would ensure you were giving your chickens the correct amount of cucurbitacin to be effective.
So I wouldn't use it if you needed to treat a serious worm infestation. But for me personally I feel comfortable using it as a preventive boost.

Here's some reading:
The Truth About Chickens, Pumpkin Seeds & Worms

Pumpkin Seeds - Delaware State University

THE CONTROL OF INTERNAL PARASITES IN RUMINANTS - McGill
excerpt:
Cucurbits

The seeds of squash, pumpkins and many other vine crops contain a deworming compound called cucurbitacin that is more or less active depending on the parasite12. The seeds may be fed directly to animals as the Canadian pioneers once did, but it is better to extract the main ingredient using water, alcohol or ether, for an effect that is similar to that of pumpkin seeds. Aqueous extracts from squash seeds (dilution 1/50) are effective against Haemonchus contortus38.

Pumpkin seed dewormer24

- Shell and grind up the pumpkin seeds (or buy them at a grocery store).
- Mix 500 g of the seeds with three litres of water.
- Simmer (do not boil), while stirring, for 30 minutes.
- Let cool 30 minutes.
- Filter through a cloth, squeezing to remove as much juice as possible.
- Reduce over low heat to 150-200 ml.
- Make sure to remove oily scum.
- Refrigerate.

Return to “Health”