Worming with piperazine

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Re: Worming with piperazine

Post by thejonesboy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Colleen, could you video the next dose, please. I think it could go viral and make you some money. :D
Andy :egg:

modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by modern17 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:02 am

Having the birds eat the expelled worms in not uncommon .. as mentioned chickens are scavengers .. and this is how they got worms in the first place.....Very important to do the 10 day follow up dose. I usually clean the pen the day prior.. putting only a small amount of bedding in.. worm them ... then clean the pen that next day .. getting rid of any expelled worms... and more important the eggs from worms as the wormer does not kill the eggs from these worms and they do get expelled after the wormer is administered . Hitting them in 10 days gets the newly hatched worms that have hatched in the birds systems prior to them being mature enough to reproduce. My suggestion is to follow up one more time in 10 days .. as it sounds like you had more than normal dose of them and this should wipe them out.Follow up in 4-6 months.Breaking the worms life cycle is key . Most do not factor the damage and impact worms have on birds.. You will see a better conversion and less consumption of feed ( they are not eating for the worms now) ... as well probably an increase in production ( eggs or weight gain ) .. The with drawl for most wormers is about 14-21 days prior to consuming eggs or meat from these treated birds. Worming will affect fertility as do worms ... kind of a catch 22 on that .
TL

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:37 am

great post troy! the piperazine actually doesn't kill the worms, just paralyzes them....usually they get absorbed by the GI tract when they are immobilized, but if they re-eat (still gross) the expelled worms if the worms didn't dessicate then they will likely reanimate if they don't get digested in the stomach or crushed in the crop (still gross). definitely a follow up required.....and if you see worms expelled again i'd be tempted to double treat with something like fenbendazole or something that will actually kill the worms.....(still gross).
i did have spaghetti last night, thankfully i had forgotten about this post. (still gross).
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks for info Kathy and Troy!
I already wrote down on the calendar to re worm in 10 days!!!

modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by modern17 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Unfortunately most of the good stuff has been taken off the market , is no longer made or requires a script to get.You are correct Kathy on Piperzine.. why I no longer use it.. I want them done lol.. I used to have a friend that sold for Cyadimin Ag Drug co .. salesman samples were abundant .. the best ever was the Tramasol sheep oblets. Used to soak one oblet per US gallon over night ( taking away all liquid the night before each day aka keeping them thirsty ) then treating them for 4 days ( only source of water) taking it away and making a fresh batch every night for the next day. It got everything. Repeat in 10 days and you were usually good for about 4-6 month.. did it in spring after hatching season and again in the fall prior to show season.. The replacement was lemisol but it did not work near as well and did not get everything. Anyway.. regular worming is a big part of keeping them healthy.
TL

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Never had that happen, or should I say I never "saw" that happen.....BUT when we got our new puppy & the vet dewormed her - GROSS!!! Thought I would PUKE! SO freakin' Happy I did NOT see any of my birds eating "Pollo Spaghetti"
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Adds a whole new meaning to Vermicelli!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:53 am

When we had our sheep and the LGDs with them the sheep would get tapeworms and then a few that would shed them -pretty gross! So, we had to have a good worming regime for both the dogs and sheep since we were milking the sheep and could only worm before and after the milking season.
Haven’t notice any with the chickens though!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Return to “Health”