Nasty sore on top of foot

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Nasty sore on top of foot

Post by kenya » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:34 pm

For sure looks like bumblefoot. You will have to cut it out clean it up, soak it in epsom salts or betadine and wrap it up.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:47 pm

Oh crap. The angle of her toe doesn't look good. Thats where my Big Momma's bumble was as well. Her toe got dislocated from the swelling and even though the infection is gone her toe is wobbly. Doesn't seem to bug her much. It's odd that there's so much blood but I guess that's from them all picking at it. I tried squeezing and soaking and wrapping and I wasn't managing to get anywhere. There was no core in my girl's bumble. Under the scab was white liquid pus. I would soak and pick the scab off and squeeze and wrap and the next day it would look worse. That's why I ended up at a vet for antibiotic injections. Betadine soaked gauze wrapped with vet wrap helped a lot. I hope you can get it looked after.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks for posting, @kenya
So, you mean I have to cut the whole thing out? I don't see what people refer to as a plug; it's just a bleedy oozing thing. Do I cut into the centre of it? What should I use? a scalpel? tweezers?
I soaked it in Epsom Salts when I first brought her indoors and will do it again before the next step. I am afraid of a gusher if I cut into it. Are there arteries in that part of their feet between the toes?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Oops, missed your post, @Happy - I was just posting myself. I don't have a vet I can go to that treats poultry. :-(
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:00 pm

I have this stuff called Osmopak Plus that I used for a nasty boil a while back. It's a draining salve that draws infection out of subcutaneous tissues. I wonder if it would work on her bumblefoot? It needs to be covered and wrapped, which is what I'm going to have to do anyway, and I'll need to reapply every twelve hours. I think I will give it a try before I attempt anything surgical.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:31 pm

I was just coming back on to recommend epsom poultice or a drawing salve so yes I would give that a shot!

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:43 pm

Thanks, @Happy . I'll be doing an Osmopak treatment right after I get supper sorted. Fingers crossed for good results.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:08 pm

You don't cut it out, as in taking a chunk. You scrape that black scab off the bottom, and open the mmouth of the sore a little with a sharp pointy knife going a little sideways, so there is a slit. If its not bothering her too much, go at right angles too, so its an X. Then you have to squeeze as best you can. In most cases, there is a core, sort of like a kernel of corn. If you get that, the job is 90% done. A bit of salve and vetwrap and healing is then in order.

I had one similar to that, and I had to slice it open from the edge. Right from top to bottom through the pad. Made it look like the webbing between the toes went right to the anklebone and gaped open. I wrapped it and about a week, you wouldn't know she ever had it. Scared me some when I did it.

Good luck with it.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks, @Farrier1987 . I'll be trying the Osmopak tonight, and if that isn't giving positive results, I'll have to follow your (really useful) instructions. If I can get Hubby to do the holding while looking away, I think I can manage it.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:51 pm

I had a similar one to Farriers too. Joan and I took it back to the bone 3 years ago. It didn't seem to worry her and her name is Wonky Toe now!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Health”