Nasty sore on top of foot

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Nasty sore on top of foot

Post by Jaye » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:11 pm

I would really like to have a wingman/woman on this too, but know I have no choice but solo.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:06 am

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=w ... 7l2EpKwAbQ

@Jaye I've read some good things about this working for chronic bumble. I think it takes a few weeks of daily retreating though.
My vet also recommended replacing my perches (or thoroughly scrubbing down with bleach) I mixed up some Virkon and scrapped and scrubbed down.
Hope you're seeing some progress.

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:38 pm

@Jaye sometimes youtube can be a wingpeople, too.

Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:27 pm

Thanks, @Happy , and @poultry_admin . I had planned to make my own Epsom Salts poultice when I got home this evening if there was no progress with the Osmopak salve I had applied this morning, but just a few minutes ago, I got a call back from our vet's office with an offer for an appointment with a large animal vet who works out of that clinic who is willing to take a look. Yay! I plan to watch and learn. :-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:24 pm

That's great!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:22 pm

Osmopak is just epsom salt and benzocaine, so if it IS infection, I'd think a homemade poultice would work just as well. I think the tendons in your hens' toe are toast, but as long as it hasn't eaten bone, she should get along fine. If the vet prescribes Penicillin (propen), consider discontinuing the Osmopak, as injectible livestock penicillin contains Procaine and the combination might be a bit much.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:27 am

So, Twyla is back home recovering from amputation of her toe. As I suspected there was something other than bumblefoot going on. Turns out that the bones in her toe were pretty much broken away in two spots; at the first toe joint and right at the joint joining it to the foot.
The vet thought she must have caught it on something and tore it back, then developed an infection at the base of the toe, which presented much like bumblefoot. She's on oral antibiotics every 12 hours for 10 days, which thankfully she happily takes on pieces of bread. I have to change the dressing and apply topical antibiotic tomorrow and again in two days.
Go ahead and have a good laugh about me forking out money to fix a 7 year old henopausal BSL girl that may not even make it through another winter. I'm fine with it, because after all the time that she's been with us, she's not just a chicken to us.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:41 am

I am certainly NOT laughing here. Glad the vet could do something.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy

Post by Happy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:23 am

No laughing here either Jaye. I'd have done the same thing. I hope Twyla recovers quickly.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:31 am

It's fine, @Killerbunny , you can laugh - a little. :-) I think I am pretty much over being too sensitive about my illogical decision about treatment now. Hopefully she'll make a full recovery and carry on as head hen again for at least another year, so it won't be a total waste. ;-)
@windwalkingwolf , you're right about the Osmopak - I could easily have made up a homemade version of it, but I already had it on hand - no purchase necessary - so I figured I might as well use it. :-) I'm wondering if the vet's solution, amputation, could have been a bit much, but she said she was concerned about infection in the bone, as you mentioned too, so I think it was probably for the best. And she did give a local anesthetic, so that's something I wouldn't have been able to do at home, even if I were confident enough in my ability to do surgery. I was afraid to do more damage because I wouldn't really know what I was doing.
Thanks for the morale boost, @Happy . It helps to know I'm not a complete lunatic when it comes to chickens.

Return to “Health”