Nasty sore on top of foot

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Nasty sore on top of foot

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:31 am

Yay, hoping for a speedy recovery!
I'll never laugh at anyone spending money on their pets, even if that pet is a chicken. I'll freely admit to having a pretty big soft spot for an old girl or two.
Now, if it was an iguana or something, you might get an eye roll :D

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:09 pm

Haha ah Jan the tale of the tailess iguana . I could tell you many . Lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:29 pm

Jaye, it is my sincere wish that when I die and if there is reincarnation, I want to come back as one of your chickens.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:46 pm

Thank you @Farrier1987 - that's high praise indeed. ;-)
Twyla may think otherwise ATM, but hopefully, in the fullness of time, she will forgive me.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:34 pm

How is Twyla doing Jaye?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:30 pm

@Killerbunny, There are definite indications that she's on the mend: She's getting bored and crabby, which isn't like her. She's complaining when we don't let her past the crate door. She's picking at her bandage. She's now refusing to eat the antibiotic-infused bread (arghh). We did a dressing change last night, and the wound site was clean, the area around the sutures didn't look at all irritated. We've been putting her out in the run inside her crate with the others every day, and bring her in at night for meds, etc. Hubby says that during the day the others take their siestas sitting near her and surrounding the crate. We're going to try letting her out in the run with the rest of them during the day on Saturday when we are able to observe, but we want to keep the bandaging on for at least until Sunday, just in case the other girls are still too interested in her wound site and her sutures. Cautiously optimistic for a full recovery. :hands:
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:26 am

little missie toe.jpg
I am posting a pic of Little Missie. Her foot was seriously damaged in that dog attack 2 years ago with the middle toe being dislocated. We never managed to get it back and it's pretty much fused to the toe next to it. She scratches and gets about just fine and as you can see has no problem roosting.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 am

Thanks, KB, for posting the picture of Little Missie. Chickens are amazingly resilient and are so adaptable, aren't they? My Silkie , Gracie, came to our flock with a seriously twisted-in right foot, but she gets around and uses it to scratch about and dust bathe too, just like a chicken with a regular forward-facing foot.
I'll try to remember to take some pics of Twyla's foot when I change out her dressing again tonight.
Last edited by Jaye on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:00 am

Farrier1987 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:08 pm
You don't cut it out, as in taking a chunk. You scrape that black scab off the bottom, and open the mmouth of the sore a little with a sharp pointy knife going a little sideways, so there is a slit. If its not bothering her too much, go at right angles too, so its an X. Then you have to squeeze as best you can. In most cases, there is a core, sort of like a kernel of corn. If you get that, the job is 90% done.

This is a rather large core from one of my hens
F6E0FA76-FEC4-4BB9-A3C5-CB4363C4B67A.jpeg

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:06 am

Nasty, glad you got it!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Health”