Nasty sore on top of foot

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Nasty sore on top of foot

Post by Jaye » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:15 pm

I agree - that does look like it would be really unpleasant to have that inside your chicken's foot pad. :-(
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:32 pm

Just reading this thread for the first time. Glad to hear you head in on the mend.

The was mention of benzocaine in this thread. Just curious I thought "caine" medications where potentially toxin to chickens? Maybe I am wrong? Maybe need a large dose?

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:17 am

JimW wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:32 pm
Just reading this thread for the first time. Glad to hear you head in on the mend.

The was mention of benzocaine in this thread. Just curious I thought "caine" medications where potentially toxin to chickens? Maybe I am wrong? Maybe need a large dose?

JimW
Because of a chickens' fast metabolism, the amount of 'caine products needed to actually provide pain relief ARE toxic. If you actually use enough to relieve the chicken's pain, you also trash their liver. BUT, the amounts given in an ointment, a Propen injection, or even topical anesthetic injection based on body weight as applied to other species, are not generally enough to poison a chicken...but won't provide pain relief, either. Luckily, chicken feet are not well innervated, like a human foot, and poultry have generally evolved to have bad things happen to their feet without great pain. If it causes them to limp, it's deep, or bone. It's why you can dig around inside a chicken foot while they just lay there and look at you...not pleasant, but not painful on the same scale it would be for a mammal.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:41 am

This is what Twyla's amputation site looked like last night before I applied fresh antibiotic gel and dressing.
IMG_20180309_200410[1].jpg
This was after dressing.
IMG_20180309_201551[1].jpg
IMG_20180309_201545[1].jpg
This morning we brought her out into the run and let the rest of the hens out to partake in scrambled eggs and sprouted BOSS from the feed trough. The reintroduction went seamlessly. It's like she'd never been gone.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:14 pm

Looks good!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:59 pm

I know, right? I'm so relieved that it's going so well.
Here's a "getting ready for bed" shot from the coop tonight:
FLIRSecure_snapshot_ChickenCoop_2018_3_10_18_50_24.jpg
Twyla is in her preferred spot, surrounded by her buddies.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:37 pm

I love the coop cam! So glad she's doing well!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:08 pm
You don't cut it out, as in taking a chunk. You scrape that black scab off the bottom, and open the mmouth of the sore a little with a sharp pointy knife going a little sideways, so there is a slit. If its not bothering her too much, go at right angles too, so its an X. Then you have to squeeze as best you can. In most cases, there is a core, sort of like a kernel of corn. If you get that, the job is 90% done. A bit of salve and vetwrap and healing is then in order.

I had one similar to that, and I had to slice it open from the edge. Right from top to bottom through the pad. Made it look like the webbing between the toes went right to the anklebone and gaped open. I wrapped it and about a week, you wouldn't know she ever had it. Scared me some when I did it.

Good luck with it.
We had to do the same, Farrier. My husband did the surgery while I held the hen, that was wrapped in a towel, on the table. That was our first summer with our hens; it was quite an introduction to hobby farming.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:13 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:37 pm
I love the coop cam! So glad she's doing well!
Thanks, WWW. I really like the cam too. I think it might possibly have saved Twyla's life because if I didn't have it, I wouldn't have been checking in and would not have known that she was under attack.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:46 pm

You may want to trim the nails a bit, easier on the whole foot when there isn't an extra nail length.
I know you have dog nail clippers :)
You are a very brave person, I don't think I would have the courage for that kind of surgical procedure.

Return to “Health”