Nasty sore on top of foot

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Nasty sore on top of foot

Post by Jaye » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:56 pm

It's true - the nails are gnarly. I do have dog nail clippers, and I've tried trimming Twyla's nails before, but even just taking off a tiny little bit caused bleeding. :-( I'll try again when I buy some styptic powder (I tried corn starch the last time, but I was underwhelmed by the results).
Oh, and I wasn't that brave either ... the vet did the surgical procedure for me. Next time, if there is a next time (and I hope there isn't) I MAY try because I now have a general idea of how to do it.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:57 pm

So Little Missie, not to be outdone, must have got a thorn or similar in her foot. It swelled up with a hard lump on top and we were expecting bumblefoot core but no. A huge lump of woody stuff with a clot round it. SHe is resting with treats now!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Oh dear. So, a nasty log of a splinter that caused an infection? I'm glad to hear you were able to get her sorted, and that she's on the mend, enjoying some treats.
BTW, thank you for your post, @Killerbunny . I think what this has highlighted for me is that a foot problem that presents with similar symptoms to Bumblefoot and has a similar appearance does not necessarily mean it's Bumblefoot. My take-away from this has been that if there isn't an obvious plug, there is likely another reason for the infection.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:31 pm

yes - I could feel a hard core so I was convinced it was bumblefoot but no. Let's just hope she mends OK especially as it's her good foot!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Health”