Question winter cleaning

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: winter cleaning

Post by KimChick » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:55 pm
We use bins under the roosts, which keeps rest of the floor bedding cleaner.
The bins are usually good all winter, emptied in Nov/Dec, they are usually good until spring.
This year there are more birds then usual, so may have to do some mid winter "reduction" as they are starting to look a bit full.
This is our last version of "no work" coop cleaning. ;)
bins divided stall.jpg
New stall bins and roosts.jpg
That's kind of a neat idea!

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:27 am

I use construction sand in my coops all year round. It's extremely easy to keep clean. I clean my coops every day. If it's an indoor day, I'll go in a scoop the poop .

Coop is always reasonable clean.

Cheers

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:42 am

It would be interesting to know how many birds you keep with the different type of bedding and cleaning system.
The picture with the drop bins I have posted has 18 and 14 birds respectively.
A system that works very well for 8 birds, may not work so well for 28

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:54 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:42 am
It would be interesting to know how many birds you keep with the different type of bedding and cleaning system.
The picture with the drop bins I have posted has 18 and 14 birds respectively.
A system that works very well for 8 birds, may not work so well for 28
The hen house in the barn has a dirt floor under the roosting rods and straw in front of and under the nesting boxes. The enclosure in the barn has a dirt floor with straw on top. (It was originally a straw bin.)
Outside, the enclosure gets straw put down occasionally. The coops each have a generous layer of course shavings for easy cleaning, and the nesting boxes each have a base of shavings with straw and herbs on top.
We have 22 birds, which includes the rooster.

Pollo Caballo
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Pollo Caballo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:18 pm

I find that my coops do best with partial clean outs every 2-4 weeks and a complete clean out and sweep down about three or four times per year. I use both shavings and straw (deep layers) on rubber matt covered limestone screenings floor. I usually just add more straw for the small clean outs and top up as it gets scratched down. I have 30 chickens right now divided between three flocks. Each flock has one rooster. I find my Ameraucana flock does a much better job of scratching and turning over the bedding then my Marans flock but under the roosts is always the dirtiest area of course.
The big spring and fall clean out is also the time I do the delousing powder, pedicures and butt clean offs. The partial clean out is primarily around the waterer and under the roosts. The remaining less dirty shavings and straw gets shifted to under the roosts and the clean shavings and straw gets put in the lower traffic areas. When I put in fresh shavings I will heap a pile in one corner for dust bathing. I do this pile far away from the waterer else the birds will flick it into it and muck it up!
I find the more frequent mini clean outs really helps to keep humidity down. There can be a week or more in a row when I don’t open the chicken pop doors when it is just too cold or windy for the birds to go out. Once the weather breaks a bit the birds get kicked out so I can freshen up their coops! They are always excited to come back in and break in the new ‘furniture’!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks for all the input. I guess when it comes down to it, we all do what works for both us and the birds. I have been cleaning the ground under the roosts about every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks, when it's not totally frozen and immovable. Throwing down some course shavings under the roosting rods helps, too. And I clean out the nesting boxes everyday; I cannot monitor their sleeping habits.
The youngest RSL hens always come into the hen house to keep me company (I think they're just looking for treats, though!).

Return to “Health”