Question Vent gleet?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Moonhippie
Newly Hatched Chick

Vent gleet?

Post by Moonhippie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Hello! I THINK my 1.5 yr old EE has vent gleet. her abdomen is doughy but not hard. She's eating and drinking and not hiding. I cleaned her up yesterday but this morning she was a mess again. I've given her an Epsom salt soak and did a brief digital exam and felt nothing abnormal. I applied monistat cream around the vent and a bit inside but otherwise I'm not sure where to get more antifungal meds for oral administration. Dosage? I'll post some pics to help with Dx. She's not laying ATM but my other 3 aren't much either.
Thanks!!
Attachments
After soak.
After soak.
Before
Before
Before
Before

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Vent gleet?

Post by Jaye » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Don't know if this information will help, but I used oral dosing of an antifungal – Flucomazole, AKA Diflucan UN (Pfizer) or CanesOral (Bayer) for one of my hens that had vent gleet.
Walmart carries both, at least at the store I shopped at, and has the lowest price. And they are both OTC.
For poultry, the dosage is 15 mg per Kg for 7 days.
My hen is 2.95 Kg, so she got about 45 mg per day sprinkled on bits of scrambled egg. Each capsule contains 150g, and there is one capsule in a package. So, yes, it's pricey. I wonder if it would be cheaper to get a prescription from the vet?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Moonhippie
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Moonhippie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Ok. She's 2.0kg. Do the photos look like gleet to you?

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Yes, I think so. Does it smell yeasty?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Moonhippie
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Moonhippie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:53 pm

It's pretty stinky
I picked up multvitamin powder and oyster shells as well as fluconazole.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:11 pm

Sounds like you have a solid plan. Good luck!
You might want to follow up with some probiotics as well, after you have completed treatment, in order to get her gut flora back to a healthier state. When my hen had vent gleet, I sprinkled some probiotic powder from capsules that I took myself (the refrigerated kind, with 30 billion active cells) onto some scrambled egg for her. My hens also like yoghurt, so in moderation that can't hurt either.

Moonhippie
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Moonhippie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:55 pm

I've got plain kefir at the moment and will also add probiotic powder after the treatment is done. Any idea the wait period before she clears the antifungals from her body? 6-8wks? We don't want to consume any eggs until we know they are safe. (And she lays again!)

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:12 am

Kefir should work just fine, if they like it, and I've heard that many do. :-)

I don't work in any aspect of the field of health or medicine, veterinary or otherwise, so I'm no expert and I really don't know about withdrawal period for anti-fungals in general, but since these are prescribed for humans, and the daily dosage for vent gleet is so small, personally I don't think there would be much residual showing up in any eggs laid during the treatment period.
It's my understanding that anti-fungals are mostly prescribed to kill off an overpopulation of bacteria. From what I've been able to find on Fluconazole, it doesn't appear to have very long half life in most livestock, so I could be wrong, but I get the impression that it's a fairly benign drug compared to others - antibiotics, for example.
I haven't been able to find any definitive information on Fluconazole withdrawal times, though. Most of the scientific sites I've checked for regulations on Fluconazole say there are no withdrawal times established for animals intended for food, but they don't say not to use them on animals intended for food, whereas they do specify that for many other drugs.
To be safe, you could wait a few weeks after treatment is finished, especially if the eggs are not for your own use (i.e., if you're selling them). Since Ivermectin has a 21 day withdrawal period in poultry, I applied that 21 day benchmark as my Fluconazole post-treatment wait period, before consuming any of my hen's eggs. I did, however, feed a few of them back to her before the full 21 days had elapsed.

Again, I'm not a professional. I'm just telling you what I did, and my reasoning for it.

Return to “Health”