Question Sneezing, gurgling and wheezing!

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
BobG
On the Roost

Re: Sneezing, gurgling and wheezing!

Post by BobG » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:16 am

It is a subject that is on all poultry sites and it really is a hot topic dividing poultry keepers as to how to handle the situation. Antibiotics will only clear the birds of the symptoms ,it will not cure them. You are now left with a flock of birds that carry the disease. Do as our great grandparents did cull the sick ones
Chilliwack B.C. Breeder, Exhibitor of SC Large RIR , Brown Red Modern Game Btms, Brown Red O.E. Btms , Grey Call Ducks

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:32 am

:iagree:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:09 pm

Me too agree with Bob & OC . Keeping them only brings trouble for not just yourself but others . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:09 pm

have to admit i am also of that camp, unless you are not going to sell birds or introduce new birds-aka have a closed flock. since i breed, anyone that starts rattling-whether its turkey, chicken or guinea is taken out and dispatched immediately. but not everyone is selling, and some folks have them as pets and can and will close their flocks. it's not for me to have a closed flock, and that does mean that i have started over at least once in my career....heartbreaking as it is, it's easier than nursing them along and trying to keep a closed flock separate from breeding stock etc.
sometimes the wild birds bring crap in and that has resulted in me dispatching the odd bird here and there on a minutes notice....sigh. but mostly it's introductions from purchases from places like an auction that will bring it into a flock if proper quarantine isn't followed....
so. up to the owner....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:34 pm

I hear what your saying Kathy but then a sparrow etc drops by picks up the decease & carrys it to the next flock . Feral pigeons are great for carrying deceases on their feet to the next stop over . Luck

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Thankfully no pigeons here! Lol. But baron sent me his starlings, so.... ;-P
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:03 pm

My goto is Super Booster. I can get it at my local feed store at it has worked for me. You add it to their water for 3 days and most get over it quickly. You need to withhold eggs for a couple of days. But it's a small price to paid for healthy chickens. Good luck!

Nicole B
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Nicole B » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:25 pm

WLLady wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:09 pm
have to admit i am also of that camp, unless you are not going to sell birds or introduce new birds-aka have a closed flock. since i breed, anyone that starts rattling-whether its turkey, chicken or guinea is taken out and dispatched immediately. but not everyone is selling, and some folks have them as pets and can and will close their flocks. it's not for me to have a closed flock, and that does mean that i have started over at least once in my career....heartbreaking as it is, it's easier than nursing them along and trying to keep a closed flock separate from breeding stock etc.
sometimes the wild birds bring crap in and that has resulted in me dispatching the odd bird here and there on a minutes notice....sigh. but mostly it's introductions from purchases from places like an auction that will bring it into a flock if proper quarantine isn't followed....
so. up to the owner....
I have a question about the quarantine process. If the bird can be a carrier and does not show any signs of illness during the quarantine, could it still infect the flock as soon as it is introduced?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:54 pm

If I have outside birds in quarantine I always put a couple of my flock in with the quarantined birds at least 2 wks before quarantine is over & see if any issues then hang on & hope .

Nicole B
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Nicole B » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:03 pm

ross wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:54 pm
If I have outside birds in quarantine I always put a couple of my flock in with the quarantined birds at least 2 wks before quarantine is over & see if any issues then hang on & hope .
Very helpful approach. Thanks

Return to “Health”