Messy drinker

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Messy drinker

Post by Happy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:53 pm

For the second evening in a row I've had to take my hair dryer out and melt the icicles hanging off Harley's chest and dry him off before going to roost. This is new and I'm wondering if anyone has insight. My waterer is raised but because I have little game birds as well I put a step up on one side. Harley may be using the step but I haven't seen him do that. Aside from a rubber bib any suggestions?

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Messy drinker

Post by Jaye » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:05 pm

Can you take a pic of your setup? I'm having trouble visualizing what might be happening.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy

Post by Happy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Will try to get one tomorrow but it's dark when I leave and dark when I get home. The waterer is on blocks. Raised maybe 6-8 inches off the floor. But there's a block on one side of it for my bantams to hop up on so that they can reach. Harley's wattles seem fine and no frostbite but he dribbles water all down his chest and it freezes. These Cochins are much higher maintenance than my rocks lol.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:46 pm

I use a small cage bird feeder inside a black rubber water dish (suspended from the side)
it seems to work well for the Wyandotte cockerels. I use heated waters for the rest of the pens, but the Wyandotte long wattles are a problem with those.
The water dish inside the water dish seems to protect the wattles, so I would assume it would also keep the chest dry.
will take a picture when I go out.
Water dish cockerels.jpg
Watter dish 2.jpg

Happy

Post by Happy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:53 pm

Sorry @Ontario Chick I somehow missed those pictures. That looks like an interesting set-up.
Sorry @Jaye I've yet to find an opportunity to get a picture. I've been called in to work both days I was supposed to be off this week. And hubby hurt his back so I've been hauling wood and moving snow.
The odd thing is that Harley hasn't had any ice on him since I posted this. I didn't change anything so I'm not sure what was causing it. Just going to keep an eye on him for the next bit and hopefully it was just an anomaly.

Happy

Post by Happy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:26 pm

1CBB7EDA-9EB1-40C6-8267-B46CF777F209.jpeg
I finally remembered to snap a pic of my wAterer. The step on the right is for my oegbs. They wouldn’t reach otherwise lol. Harley hasn’t had any wet feathers since I originally posted so I’m not going to change anything for now

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:41 pm

That is the same heated water fount that we have, only ours is hanging from a beam and is lower to the ground. Our rooster doesn't have frozen water on his feathers. Hmmm... a conundrum.

Happy

Post by Happy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:07 pm

If the waterer isn’t raised high enough Harley’s wattles get too wet. The Cochins are big birds. So I make sure that as the bedding gets deeper the waterer goes higher. It is under a poop board so can’t be hung. Idk what happened water fight in the coop I guess! Maybe one of the girls tried to drown him finally.

Return to “Health”