Antibiotic Rule Changes

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Cuttlefish
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Antibiotic Rule Changes

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Hello all,

I work at a feed store and we just got notification (and posters to decorate with) that as of Dec 1st 2018 we will no longer be able to sell antibiotics for farm use... they will all require a prescription from the vet. No injectable, no powders, no Super Booster and the like. This does not affect cocci meds, and for those of you who feed cattle or sheep feeds with antibiotics pre-mixed, that's not changing.

It's possible that other options would still be on the table, like tetracycline for fish tanks? Not sure about that stuff yet.

Hope everyone is breeding for strong immune systems, because they're going to need it!

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Re: Antibiotic Rule Changes

Post by thegawd » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:32 pm

Thanks for the heads up cuttlefish. Hey it's good to hear from ya! So what your saying is... stock up. Any word about ivermectin n other wormers? Thats pretty much the only meds I use.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Cuttlefish
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:43 am

No, wormers are ok.... so far!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:06 am

My opinion is that they should have left me able to buy injectable for spot use, but take it our of the feed.

I think the general prophylactic use of antibiotics has to contribute greatly to the spread of super bugs. Bacteria is pretty smart and changes as required to survive.

Opinions on that from others that may have more direct science knowledge? I would be pleased to hear.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:37 am

I can see a lot of animals dying, I know a lot of farmers only call the vet as a last resort and sometimes just let the animal die as they say vet fees will cost more than the animal is worth.
Sad really but I took a stray cat into the vet his ears were so messed up, he had ear mites, antibiotics plus advantage for the mites was 135.00 dollars. My cousin said if they call the vet for a cow it's usually around 1,000.00 dollars.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:01 pm

I needed deworming pills for my barn cat. You can't buy deworming pills for dogs or cats without a "prescription" from a vet, and a vet won't give you a prescription without seeing the animal. I think it's just another way to make money. We can buy dewormers for livestock without having to take them to the vet (thank goodness).

I took my cat to a clinic in Regina last week. I got him his 2 booster shots and 6 deworming pills. The bill was a whopping $276.86! They charged $80.20 just for the office visit and checkup (which was not very thorough), $26.55 for the rabies shot, $26.55 for the FRPP shot, and $116.12 for 6 tiny 16 mg deworming pills ($19.35 for each pill before tax). There was $27.44 tax too (11% on everything). When my 110 pound dog had a nose infection the 18 – 250 mg antibiotic pills for him cost $71.83 ($3.99 each before tax). I can see why people have trouble taking care of their pets.

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:41 pm

Geez, I don't want to tell you how much I spent on our dog over the years. I don't want to know the number myself either!

Cuttlefish
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:43 pm

Shnookie, you're not wrong about the money grab thing.
We've been really regulated as to flea and tick meds we can sell for a while now, but with online shopping across borders more common, they are magically relaxing the rules, and voila, it is safe to sell Advantage at a pet store now... hmmmmm.....
I'm hoping some dog and cat wormers come back soon too.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Yes I remember a couple years ago you could only get the advantage wormer from a vet.

Return to “Health”