Hen broke a toe

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Hen broke a toe

Post by Happy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:13 am

WWW I think you're right. She's had a few liquid poops but her crop is still huge. I think what caused the vet to take this direction was there was nothing "cheesy feeling" in her crop. It was all liquid. She's nibbling on her crumble but drinking a ton of water. Her breath doesn't stink like it did and she not burping when I massage her crop (Friday she did). She's definitely better than she was but not cured yet. She wants out and I'd love for her to get some exercise to help thinks along but of course she goes for grass immediately so back in her cage. If I need to grab an anti-fungal tomorrow I can. I wish I knew why this girl has these issues every molt because they get worse each year. I really don't think she's a feather eater. I did just start throwing them sunflower seeds a couple weeks ago but it's a couple handfuls each morning amongst 13 chickens. Since I've seen two whole ones in her poop though I guess she wasn't able to digest them. I realize that crop issues are typically an indication of something else (worms, laying problems, cancer, cocci) but she doesn't have an issue any other time of the year. Next fall I'm wrapping her in bubble wrap and feeding nothing but moistened chicken food!

Happy

Post by Happy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:19 pm

Feeling much better today. She’s got her colour back. Crop is still large but not so watery and she’s pooping although it’s pretty loose. She was dying for a dust bath this aft. Not out of the woods yet but looks like she’s on the mend.
3B45FF88-C988-431B-9C26-35C2BBDC5256.jpeg

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Fingers crossed here for her!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:35 pm

She looks great, perhaps she is a drama queen lol!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Glad she's feeling better! She looks like a real character.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy

Post by Happy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Well here we go again. I noticed last week that Big Momma was sitting a lot and didn’t seem to be feeling herself. I’ve been watching what treats they’ve been getting and monitoring her crop. Last night it felt sort of doughy and full. This morning first thing it was still full and very little poop under her perch but a ton of feathers. There’s something about moulting that slows her crop down to a halt. Every fall we’ve dealt with this for 5 years now. I have a bit of her prescription left so hopefully I can get things moving.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Let's hope that fixes her up.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy

Post by Happy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:20 pm

Big Momma has been in the basement in a dog cage so I can monitor her food and poop. Her crop is still moving VERY slowly. She acts like she’s starving despite having a full crop. It’s not gone sour so I’m not panicking yet. I let her out today for a bit of exercise and brought her buddy Bitchy in for a visit. Bitchy hadn’t started moulting yet. The two of them laid down in front of the fire together for a bit and it seems that kick-started things lol. She stood up and looked at the floor like “WTF”!
629A1D40-D744-41C2-934F-3A5E64E30590.jpeg

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:11 pm

Oh my! She's going to be bald soon, shes going to need that fireplace full time.LOL

Happy

Post by Happy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:04 am

Well Big Momma went to visit the vet today. Her crop is still moving extremely slow. There’s a doughy feeling mass and a lot of liquid. She’s not eating much aside from raw egg yolks and cantaloupe and she will nibble on soaked chicken food. She’s lost body condition. Her crop never feels empty. The vet is stumped. He said that if she presented this way and had never had this problem before he would think that she has cancer or organ failure and the crop was just a symptom of that underlying issue. But the fact that she has this issue every molt and never any other time leads him to think otherwise. So they have put Big Momma’s details onto a vet web forum to see if they can get any ideas or suggestions to try. In the meantime she is doing ok and living in the house. She went through Timmy’s drive thru on the way home and became an instant celebrity and then almost caused an accident at the traffic lights in Elmvale lol. She sits on my lap and looks out the window while driving.

Return to “Health”